Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Many Topics Including The Oldest Dinar Community. Copyright © 2006-2020

Continuing efforts to combat war remnants: 20 million mines are still present

Rocky
    Rocky
    Admin Assist
    Admin Assist

Continuing efforts to combat war remnants: 20 million mines are still present Empty Continuing efforts to combat war remnants: 20 million mines are still present

Post by Rocky Sun 20 Nov 2022, 5:52 am

POSTED ON[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] BY [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

[size=52]Continuing efforts to combat war remnants: 20 million mines are still present[/size]

[size=45]Translated by: Hamed Ahmed[/size]
    [size=45]As signatories to the Mine Ban Treaty prepare to meet on the 25th anniversary of the treaty, thousands in countries in the Middle East continue to deal with the daily trauma of mines.[/size]
    [size=45]In Iraq, which is considered one of the areas most contaminated with mines and war remnants over four decades of wars and conflicts, this legacy still threatens the lives of many civilians in the country and causes large numbers of casualties among the wounded and dead, especially in the northern and southern regions of the country.[/size]
    [size=45]A report by (The National) news website, translated by (Al-Mada), stated that "the convention banning the use, stockpiling, production or transfer of anti-personnel mines has been signed and ratified by more than 130 countries." The report indicated that "more than 55 million anti-personnel mines have been destroyed in stored warehouses, and vigorous operations are underway to remove them from contaminated areas."[/size]
    [size=45]According to the latest statistics included in the International Mine Incident Monitor Report for the year 2022, more than 200 people were killed or injured in Iraq during the year 2021 as a result of mines and war remnants.[/size]
    [size=45]Rahma Waleed volunteered to work on a demining team for a year, until her team of nine was hit by a bomb in July on the outskirts of her city, Mosul. Walid said, “I was about to get out of the car when I heard the sound of something hitting the wheel. I tried to control myself, but a sudden numbness spread to both my feet. I called everyone to stop and get out, but the explosion occurred, injuring seven members, and two survived without any harm. We were all covered in blood.”[/size]
    [size=45]Waleed says that the accident and the resulting trauma made her unable to continue her essential demining work.[/size]
    [size=45]She adds, “The sound of the explosion still rings in my ears whenever I put my head on the pillow. Sometimes I shudder, and whenever I remember the accident, I feel tingling and numbness in my feet.” Decades of wars and battles have left Iraq among the countries in the region most contaminated with mines and unexploded ordnance. According to the Ministry of Environment, during the period between 2004 and 2021, approximately 34,208 civilians were injured or killed, as a result of mines and war remnants.[/size]
    [size=45]Iraqi official sources say that the explosives and mines are distributed over an area estimated at 6,022 km in the country.[/size]
    [size=45]The sources added that 53% of them have been removed, and an area of ​​2,761 km2 is still contaminated with mines and unexploded ordnance, and it is estimated that 20 million mines are still present in the country.[/size]
    [size=45]On the other hand, the United Nations Office for Demining (UNMAS) directs its efforts, in cooperation with other international organizations specialized in this field, to assist the Iraqi side with demining efforts, training local cadres, and educating the people on how to deal with foreign objects that they find in their areas.[/size]
    [size=45]The terrorist organization ISIS has worked to plant large areas of lands and neighborhoods that it controlled in Mosul, Anbar, and Salah al-Din with mines and explosive devices that cause casualties among civilians and impede restoration and reconstruction work, and are often found in roads, agricultural fields, abandoned buildings, and among the rubble. .[/size]
    [size=45]As part of the international assistance provided to Iraq in this field, a statement by the United Nations (UNMASS) office on November 19 indicated that it had received assistance from Belgium amounting to 2 million euros for its efforts to remove mines in Iraq and Syria, as well as a donation from France of $500,000 to help remove mines and war remnants in Iraq. Basra Governorate, which suffers from remnants of war dating back to the era of the Iran-Iraq war in the eighties of the last century.[/size]
    [size=45]The statement stated that the French contribution will support the ongoing operations to remove mines in the Shatt al-Arab area near the city of Basra, which will enable the progress of infrastructure projects and the promotion of socio-economic development in the region.[/size]
    [size=45]The director of the (UNMAS) program in Iraq, Behr Ludhammer, said that this contribution positively affects the local population in Basra and enhances the aspect of economic development in Basra and the Shatt al-Arab region, as it will work to provide lands ready for cultivation and the development of economic production.[/size]
    [size=45]The (UNMAS) Office for Mine Action in Iraq stated in its statement that by 2021 it was able to clear an area estimated at 5 million square meters of mines.[/size]
    [size=45]He pointed to the deactivation of 9 thousand pieces of war remnants and mines, pointing out that these efforts are still continuing in Iraq.[/size]
    [size=45]The office is also working to help build local capacities that are currently working actively and effectively at the national level to ensure the continuity of achieving satisfactory results in this field.[/size]
    [size=45]It is noteworthy that the Undersecretary of the Ministry of Environment, Jassem Al-Falahi, stated earlier, “There was a time limit under our international obligations; The year 2018 will be declaring Iraq free of mines. Al-Falahi added, "Because of the challenge of the terrorist ISIS gangs and their widespread deployment of explosive devices, we requested and obtained an extension until the year 2028, so that Iraq will be free of mines."[/size]
    [size=45]He expressed his hope that "there will be a national will and vision to resolve this important file, which not only affects people's lives and their safe return to their lands, but also greatly affects the encouragement of investment and the entry of many investing companies."[/size]
    [size=45]About (The National) and (Relief Web)[/size]
    [size=45][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Current date/time is Sun 29 Sep 2024, 3:19 am