two hours ago
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Today, Tuesday, the head of the National Approach bloc, Ammar Tohme, warned of a dangerous article on the Iraqi economy that was included in the 2023 budget draft.
Tohme said, in a statement, that “the draft budget for the year 2023 stipulates in Article (2)-b-paragraph (5) that :slight_frown: for ministries and governorates to open the door to investment and partnership with the private sector, and a committee is formed to prepare special instructions for them and grant them exceptions from relevant laws to be issued by the Council. Ministers), and this involves many risks and violations, including:
1. The article refers to the permissibility of partnership with the private sector, which is absolute and may include the participation of the local or foreign investor in the ownership of existing or built projects such as the Al-Faw port, electricity production stations, factories and laboratories of the Iraqi state, agricultural assets, infrastructure for the communications sector, and minerals such as phosphates, sulfur, mercury, copper, uranium... This is a waste of the state's strategic financial service resources.
2. The aforementioned article refers to the Council of Ministers issuing instructions to make an exception to the laws in force, and that includes suspending the laws in force or amending their contents other than the constitutional powers that are confined to Parliament. The legislative power is one of the competences of Parliament and may not be delegated or granted to the executive authority.
3. According to this article, the Council of Ministers can issue instructions that cancel what was included in the Investment Law of 2006, which in Article (29) of it prohibited privatization activities in the fields of oil and gas extraction and the government banking sector, and the ownership of these natural wealth becomes available to investors, merchants and influential people in the political scene! ! While such wealth is absolutely not subject to personal ownership by virtue of the constitution and fair principles.
4. What increases the concern about the existence of this article in the budget law is what was included in the basics paper for preparing the budget on its eighth page, as it stipulated (completing the financial and administrative reform processes, especially with regard to restructuring the Rasheed and Rafidain Banks and the rest of the government banks ... in a way that contributes to the advancement of the economy and revitalization of private investment) and structuring In one sense, it means privatizing these banks and selling their shares or some of them to merchants and businessmen! Especially since the end of the article referred to the activation of private investment.
5. Among the effects of applying this article is opening the door to the privatization of public production and distribution companies and providing the infrastructure for service ministries on which the state has spent tens of billions of dollars over many years and offering it at the cheapest price to investors, so they share in its ownership.
6. It follows from this article that the will of a few people (politically and financially influential) influence the state’s strategic, economic and service decisions, and control the political, economic and administrative decision of the country.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]