Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Many Topics Including The Oldest Dinar Community. Copyright © 2006-2020

A simple workshop turns into a promising project for Iraqi women in Jordan

Rocky
    Rocky
    Admin Assist
    Admin Assist

A simple workshop turns into a promising project for Iraqi women in Jordan Empty A simple workshop turns into a promising project for Iraqi women in Jordan

Post by Rocky Mon 04 Mar 2024, 4:52 am

A simple workshop turns into a promising project for Iraqi women in Jordan

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

2024-03-04 04:40
    Font

Shafaq News/ The Catholic Christian “World Report” website highlighted a unique experience that helps many Iraqi families residing in Jordan secure their livelihood, through a sewing project that contributes not only to rebuilding their lives, but also stitching up life’s wounds for them.

The report, translated by Shafaq News Agency, stated that the sewing workshop operates in the Jordanian capital, Amman, and bears the name “Al-Rafidain,” which refers to the Tigris and Euphrates rivers. The name was chosen by the first Iraqi girls who participated in the project, and their number was about 20 young women who escaped. From persecution by ISIS in 2014, and in Jordan, they tried to rebuild their future.

The report indicated that the project was launched 8 years ago, specifically on February 24, 2016, and through it about 150 young women underwent training, according to Italian father Mario Cornioli, who is considered the founder and coordinator of the project. He says, “We started with the formula of money in exchange for training, where the young women who received They attended training courses on compensation for their expenses.”

"It is a way to help them with dignity, provide vocational training and help them support their families," he added.

The report pointed out that Father Cornioli comes from a family of businessmen, which distinguishes his practical approach in dealing with challenges and attention to detail, which is linked to a spirit of deep service.

The report continued that Father Cornioli founded the “Habibi” non-governmental organization in 2013, with the aim of supporting many projects related to human and social development, including the “Al-Rafidain” project, in both Bethlehem and Jordan.

The report noted that Cornioli, after he was ordained as a priest in 2002 for the Italian Diocese of Fiesole, came to Palestine in 2009, and since 2015, he has been residing in Jordan in order to serve Iraqi refugees, while the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees says that its data show that there are There are about 718,000 registered refugees and asylum seekers in Jordan, including more than 55,000 Iraqis.

The report continued that Iraqi refugees began arriving in Jordan in multiple batches since the 1990s after the First Gulf War, and then in 2014, during the large refugee wave caused by ISIS, noting that churches and Christian organizations alone received more than 10,000 refugees. who are they.

He added that what seemed to be an emergency for a few weeks turned into a long-term situation, resulting in challenges related to their residence, supporting families and access to health care, education and jobs.

The report quoted the humanitarian organization Caritas as saying that Iraqi refugees in Jordan do not have legal status, which means that they cannot work legally, which makes it difficult for them to support themselves, and therefore, they are forced to seek stability elsewhere, especially In Australia, Canada or the United States, although their ultimate dream is to return to their homeland one day.

The report continued that in this context, the "Al-Rafidain" Association was born, and Cornioli was quoted as saying, "We are here to tell them that God has not abandoned them, and we started with the idea of ​​restoring dignity to these people."

The report indicated that through support from friends and volunteers, not only financially but also on the professional level, Al-Rafidain took its first steps, and according to Father Cornioli, some seamstresses and fashion designers joined to support the association, especially designer Rosaria Menino, who gave up her job. In Italy last year, she moved to Amman and devoted herself entirely to the workshop, in addition to fashion designer Antonella Mazzone.

According to the report, 19 girls, all Christians, are currently working in the workshop, which is based in the Latin parish of St. Joseph, adding that the workshop serves as a means to protect working women who would not have the opportunity to do so otherwise.

The report quoted Cornioli as saying that communicating with refugees is what strengthens his faith, explaining, “They are people of extraordinary faith who lost everything they had but kept their faith alive, and for me and my work, this is an endless source of personal enrichment and enlightenment.”

The report stated that the project has enjoyed the support of the Italian Bishops’ Conference since 2018 and has benefited from cooperation with the “Pro Terra Sancta” association since 2020, in addition to a partnership with the French Embassy in Amman.

The report continued that “Al-Rafidain” has flourished over the years, developed different production lines and expanded its collections. According to Cornioli, “Al-Rafidain” has now become self-sufficient, explaining, “We cover the expenses and are able to provide a small salary for the girls.”

The report dealt with the experience of Iraqi Luna Charbel (25 years old), who arrived in Jordan in November 2023 from Qaraqosh, accompanied by her husband and two children, where they made the decision to leave after the fire disaster at a wedding that claimed the lives of more than 100 people.

The report quoted Luna Charbel as saying, “There is no work and no security in Iraq. Now we hope to leave soon to Australia, where my husband’s entire family has already settled.”

Referring to her work in the sewing workshop, Charbel said, “I feel good here, and although I do not believe that I will continue doing this work, coming here gives me hope.”

The report pointed out that the word “hope” is also present on the “Al-Rafidain” poster within the phrase “Fashion is seen through threads of hope.”

The report quoted Cornioli as saying, "For these young women, being forced to leave their homeland is like an open wound. Working, organizing their day, and contributing to supporting their families has a positive impact, even on a psychological level."

He added, "When they sew, the colored cotton threads become threads of healing, hope for the future, and the fabric of a new life."
    [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Current date/time is Sun 29 Sep 2024, 4:26 pm