Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Many Topics Including The Oldest Dinar Community. Copyright © 2006-2020

Lobster Corn Chowder

Lobo
    Lobo

Lobster Corn Chowder Empty Lobster Corn Chowder

Post by Lobo Mon 17 Aug 2015, 1:34 am

Lobster Corn Chowder (Serves 6)

by Ina, Barefoot Contessa

Lobster Corn Chowder 398_54blog
    Photo: Quentin Bacon
    Lobster Corn Chowder Thumb_bcbtb

3 (1½-pound) cooked lobsters, cracked and split
    3 ears corn
    For the stock:
    6 tablespoons (¾ stick) unsalted butter
    1 cup chopped yellow onion
    ¼ cup cream sherry
    1 teaspoon sweet paprika
    4 cups whole milk
    2 cups heavy cream
    1 cup dry white wine
    For the soup:
    1 tablespoon good olive oil
    ¼ pound bacon, large-diced
    2 cups large-diced unpeeled Yukon gold potatoes (2 medium)
    1½ cups chopped yellow onions (2 onions)
    2 cups diced celery (3 to 4 stalks)
    1 tablespoon kosher salt
    1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    2 teaspoons chopped fresh chives
    ¼ cup cream sherry

Remove the meat from the shells of the lobsters. Cut the meat into large cubes and place them in a bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate. Reserve the shells and all the juices that collect. Cut the corn kernels from the cobs and set aside, reserving the cobs separately.

For the stock, melt the butter in a stockpot or Dutch oven large enough to hold all the lobster shells and corncobs. Add the onion and cook over medium-low heat for 7 minutes, until translucent but not browned, stirring occasionally. Add the sherry and paprika and cook for 1 minute. Add the milk, cream, wine, lobster shells and their juices, and corncobs and bring to a simmer. Partially cover the pot and simmer the stock over the lowest heat for 30 minutes. (I move the pot halfway off the heat.)

Meanwhile, in another stockpot or Dutch oven, heat the oil and cook the bacon for 4 to 5 minutes over medium-low heat, until browned and crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon and reserve. Add the potatoes, onions, celery, corn kernels, salt, and pepper to the same pot and saute for 5 minutes. When the stock is ready, remove the largest pieces of lobster shell and the corncobs with tongs and discard. Place a strainer over the soup pot and carefully pour the stock into the pot with the potatoes and corn. Simmer over low heat for 15 minutes, until the potatoes are tender. Add the cooked lobster, the chives and the sherry and season to taste. Heat gently and serve hot with a garnish of crisp bacon.

Current date/time is Tue 19 Mar 2024, 4:10 am