Oysters with Fig Vinegar Mignonette
Be the first to Write a Review
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 0 minutes
Mignonette, a classic accompaniment to oysters on the half shell, gets an update by swapping in fig vinegar for the traditional red wine vinegar. Be sure to use fig vinegar (A L’Olivier makes an outstanding one), not fig balsamic vinegar, which is too sweet for this dish.
For the mignonette:
- 1/2 cup (4 fl. oz./125 ml) fig vinegar
- 1/2 cup (3 oz./90 g) finely minced shallots
- 1/8 tsp. sugar
- 1/8 tsp. sea salt
- 1 tsp. finely crushed black peppercorns
Crushed ice for serving
- 24 oysters on the half shell
- Finely snipped chives for garnish (optional)
- Prepared horseradish for serving
- Lemon wedges for serving
Directions:In a small bowl, stir together the vinegar, shallots, sugar, salt and pepper. Let the mignonette stand for 2 hours before serving.
Fill a serving platter with crushed ice and arrange the oysters on top. Garnish with the chives. Serve with the mignonette, horseradish and lemon wedges alongside. Serves 6.
Adapted from Feast Charleston, Charleston, SC