Thai Beef Salad with Heirloom Tomatoes
By Julia Rutland
Thinly sliced, seasoned grilled beef, crisp chopped romaine, and wedges of flavorful heirloom tomatoes, all tossed in a spicy Thai dressing — just the thing for a warm-weather dinner out on the deck.
Makes 4 servings
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ⅓ cup fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons Asian fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 2 small fresh red Thai chiles, thinly sliced, or 1 serrano chile seeded and thinly sliced or minced
- 1 to 1¼ pounds flank steak, trimmed
- 8 cups torn romaine lettuce
- 4 small heirloom tomatoes, cored and cut into wedges
- 1 small cucumber, thinly sliced
- ½ red onion, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup roughly torn fresh mint leaves
- Fresh mint leaves, cilantro leaves, and lime wedges for garnish
- Whisk together cilantro, garlic, lime juice, fish sauce, sugar, and chiles in a small bowl, whisking until sugar dissolves. Set aside.
- Prepare charcoal fire or preheat grill to high heat. Grill meat, 5 to 8 minutes, turning once, until medium rare (or longer for desired degree of doneness). Let stand 10 minutes, then slice thinly at a 45° angle against the grain.
- Combine romaine, tomatoes, cucumber, onion, and mint in a large bowl. Add dressing, tossing to coat. Arrange lettuce mixture on a platter or 4 large plates. Top with sliced meat. Garnish as desired.