Recipe by Julianna K. Grimes
With its mix of vibrant colors and flavors, this recipe for Marinated Sweet Peppers & Fresh Mozzarella is sure to be a crowd pleaser. If your guests like fiery heat, substitute a spicy chile, such as serrano, for the banana peppers. Serves 8-10.
- 3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 3 garlic cloves, smashed
- 2 cups red baby bell (or other sweet red pepper)
- 1½ cups Lunchbox Snacking pepper (or other orange bell pepper)
- 1½ cups sweet banana peppers
- 8 ounces baby fresh mozzarella balls (bocconcini)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange rind
- 1/4 cup torn fresh basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
Instructions1. Preheat broiler to high.
2. Pour 1/2 cup of oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Add garlic to oil in pan. Heat until garlic is fragrant, but do not brown (about 8 minutes). Discard garlic. Combine peppers in a bowl. Drizzle peppers with 1/4 cup oil; toss. Spread peppers on a heavy-duty baking sheet lined with aluminum foil. Broil 8 inches from the flame for 5 minutes on each side or until peppers are blistered; cool. Halve peppers; discard seeds. Combine blistered peppers and cheese in a bowl; sprinkle with salt, crushed red pepper, and orange rind. Pour garlic-infused oil over pepper mixture; toss. Cover and chill 24 hours, stirring occasionally.
3. Sprinkle mixture with fresh herbs and adjust seasoning as needed, then serve immediately.