Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Many Topics Including The Oldest Dinar Community. Copyright © 2006-2020

The Game Changed in Venezuela Last Night – and the International Media Is Asleep At the Switch

Lobo
    Lobo

The Game Changed in Venezuela Last Night – and the International Media Is Asleep At the Switch Empty The Game Changed in Venezuela Last Night – and the International Media Is Asleep At the Switch

Post by Lobo Tue 23 Feb 2016, 5:46 pm

The Game Changed in Venezuela Last Night – and the International Media Is Asleep At the Switch

By Francisco Toro -
    February 20, 2014

The Game Changed in Venezuela Last Night – and the International Media Is Asleep At the Switch Bg0af4hccaa-eoe-jpg-largeSan Cristobal ayer

The Game Changed in Venezuela Last Night – and the International Media Is Asleep At the Switch Bg0af4hccaa-eoe-jpg-largeSan Cristobal on Tuesday night
    Dear International Editor:
    Listen and understand. The game changed in Venezuela last night. What had been a slow-motion unravelling that had stretched out over many years went kinetic all of a sudden.
    What we have this morning is no longer the Venezuela story you thought you understood.
    Throughout last night, panicked people told their stories of state-sponsored paramilitaries on motorcycles roaming middle class neighborhoods, shooting at people and  storming into apartment buildings, shooting at anyone who seemed like he might be protesting.
    People continue to be arrested merely for protesting, and a long established local Human Rights NGO makes an urgent plea for an investigation into widespread reports of torture of detainees. There are now dozens of serious human right abuses: National Guardsmen shooting tear gas canisters directly into residential buildings. We have videos of soldiers shooting civilians on the street.
    And that’s just what came out in real time, over Twitter and YouTube, before any real investigation is carried out. Online media is next, a city of 645,000 inhabitants has been taken off the internet amid mounting repression, and this blog itself has been the object of a Facebook “block” campaign.
    What we saw were not “street clashes”, what we saw is a state-hatched offensive to suppress and terrorize its opponents.
    Here at Caracas Chronicles we’re doing what it can to document the crisis, but there’s only so much one tiny, zero-budget blog can do.
    After the major crackdown on the streets of large (and small) Venezuelan cities last night, I expected some kind of response in the major international news outlets this morning. I understand that with an even bigger and more photogenic freakout ongoing in an even more strategically important country, we weren’t going to be front-page-above-the-fold, but I’m staggered this morning to wake up, scan the press and find…
    Nothing.
    As of 11 a.m. this morning, the New York Times World Section has…nothing.
    http://caracaschronicles.com/2014/02/20/the-game-changed/

Current date/time is Fri 19 Apr 2024, 12:47 am