Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Many Topics Including The Oldest Dinar Community. Copyright © 2006-2020

2 posters

All About Blueberries

Lobo
    Lobo

All About Blueberries Empty All About Blueberries

Post by Lobo Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:36 am

All About Blueberries
    All About Blueberries Img73
    Blueberries are especially popular at the breakfast table. They can be folded easily into batters for pancakes, coffee cakes, or muffins, and spooned over waffles, yogurt, or cereal. Like many of their cousins in the berry family, blueberries shine beautifully in tarts, pies, ice cream, and other colorful desserts.

Intensely flavored wild blueberries from Maine and Nova Scotia are legendary among cooks, who prize them for their complexity and richness in pies, cobblers, and jams. Some farmers have succeeded in cultivating close cousins of these blueberries; look for small, dark varieties in markets during the mid-summer months to enjoy their balance of tartness and sweetness.

Selecting
    For the freshest fruit, look for firm, dry, and smooth blueberries 
that retain a powdery white bloom on their surfaces.

Storing
    They can 
be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 1 week or frozen 
to enjoy during the off-season. Freeze blueberries in a single layer on a baking sheet and then transfer them to an airtight container.

Preparing
    Ripe blueberries are fragile and should be handled with care. If any stems remain, pinch them off and discard. Rinse the berries with cool water just before using and let drain on paper towels. To encourage even distribution in muffin or cake batters, gently toss the berries while still moist with a small amount of flour reserved from the recipe before folding them in.

Adapted from Williams-Sonoma Cooking from the Farmers’ Market, by Tasha DeSerio & Jodi Liano (Weldon Owen, 2010).
    ahill
    ahill
    All In Investor
    All In Investor

All About Blueberries Empty Re: All About Blueberries

Post by ahill Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:21 am

Lobo ---- is this about 'wild blueberries' ... or tame / harvested blueberries ?
    There is a big difference.

I have picked wild blueberries way, way up north and believe me - the wild blueberries have a more 
    intense blueberry flavor than the harvested ones. 
    The wild blueberries are very small plants.  One has to bend over very close to the ground to pick
    this fruit...... almost crawl.
    They grow where Mother Nature puts them..

I've spent hours picking this wild fruit along with my husband and children - way up north!
    And when we got home - I made a few blueberry pies that we enjoyed and shared with neighbors.
    Everybody said that was the best pie they ever had.
    Even my family said that was the best pies mom ever made. 

Geez!  I'm too old to kneel on the ground again and pick these precious berries ----
    I just go to the supermarket and buy fresh frozen 'wild blueberries' picked in Canada 
    or Maine USA 

a
    Lobo
    Lobo

Post by Lobo Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:20 pm

Hi Ann, I don't know if they are wild or not, but thanks for the tip, when I buy blueberries, I will look to see if I can fine some from Canada or Maine. 

hi

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:24 pm