Vegetables go great on the grill, either for a side dish or as the main event. Veggies that hold up to the heat include eggplant, squash, peppers, and onions. Cherry tomatoes also make a nice addition to skewers. Plant these veggies in a 4 x 4 garden for grill-ready ingredients all summer!
Consider placing your Grilling Garden close to your grill or kitchen. If you want to expand your garden, place two 4 x 4 beds symmetrical on either side of a 3 to 4-foot path, wide enough for you and your tools. Try the Easy Summer Garden for the second bed.
Planting the 4 x 4-foot Bed
Take inspiration from these planting options. The plan allows for some interpretation depending on your taste. These plants are pictured small to make the illustration simpler, but your bed will be spilling over as the plants grow! Following spacing on the plant labels, adding a few more plants than we have pictured if the spacing allows.
Area 1 – Eggplant and Summer Squash
- 1 eggplant (any variety) with cage or stake
- 1 summer squash (Crookneck, Straightneck, or Zucchini)
Area 2 – Cherry Tomato and Bell Pepper
- 1 Cherry Tomato (such as Husky Cherry Red, Sun Sugar, or Sweet Cherry) with cage
- 1 Bell pepper, any color, with cage or stake
Area 3 – Onions
- 24-36 Onions (any variety)