Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Many Topics Including The Oldest Dinar Community. Copyright © 2006-2020

4 posters

McDonald’s unveils new job-killing self-service machines thanks to ‘Fight for $15’

Lobo
    Lobo

McDonald’s unveils new job-killing self-service machines thanks to ‘Fight for $15’ Empty McDonald’s unveils new job-killing self-service machines thanks to ‘Fight for $15’

Post by Lobo Wed 30 Nov 2016, 4:49 pm

McDonald’s unveils new job-killing self-service machines thanks to ‘Fight for $15’

Brandon Morse November 29, 2016 11:37 pm

It shouldn’t be any surprise to anyone with a slim understanding of economics that driving up costs for businesses means bad news for customers and employees alike. In terms of driving up wages by force, there were only two results that could follow. Either that business was going to have to lay off employees in order to afford their work force, or find a way to circumvent having employees in the first place.
    In the case of the major fast food chain McDonald’s, they took the latter path and rolled out a shiny new line of self-service machines that allow you to order your food without the need for employees at a register. This happened after many cities forced the businesses in their cities to raise the minimum wage to $15 as a result of a nationwide protest called “Fight for $15.”
    Many had predicted this coming, including former CEO of McDonald’s USA Ed Rensi. Rensi wrote a guest post at Forbes on Tuesday that essentially had one message.
    “I told you so.”
    It brings me no joy to write these words. The push for a $15 starter wage has negatively impacted the career prospects of employees who were just getting started in the workforce while extinguishing the businesses that employed them. I wish it were not so. But it’s important to document these consequences, lest policymakers elsewhere decide that the $15 movement is worth embracing.
    While McDonald’s certainly had trouble in cities featuring the raised wage, it was a minor bump in the road that they could afford to spend their way out of. Sadly, not every business has the capital this massive chain does, and businesses and workers will both suffer for it.

Of course, not all businesses have the capital necessary to shift from full-service to self-service. And that brings me to my next correct prediction–that a $15 minimum wage would force many small businesses to lay off staff, seek less-costly locations, or close altogether.
    Tragically, these stories—in California in particular–are too numerous to cite in detail here. They include a bookstore in Roseville, a pub in Fresno, restaurants and bakeries in San Francisco, a coffee shop in Berkeley, grocery stores in Oakland, a grill in Santa Clara, and apparel manufacturers through the state. In September of this year, nearly one-quarter of restaurant closures in the Bay Area cited labor costs as one of the reasons for shutting down operations. And just this past week, a California-based communications firm announced it was moving 75 call center jobs from San Diego to El Paso, citing the state’s rising minimum as the “deciding factor.” (Dozens of additional stories can be found at the website FacesOf15.com.)
    These machines have been looming on the horizon since 2013, but now with the success of the protests, we’re beginning to see the fruits of their non-labor. Hopefully, people will abandon their quest through forced higher wages via the government as their community suffers under the financial burden.
    http://www.theblaze.com/news/2016/11/29/mcdonalds-unveils-new-job-killing-self-service-machines-thanks-to-fight-for-15
    zimi31
    zimi31
    Interacting Investor
    Interacting Investor

McDonald’s unveils new job-killing self-service machines thanks to ‘Fight for $15’ Empty Re: McDonald’s unveils new job-killing self-service machines thanks to ‘Fight for $15’

Post by zimi31 Wed 30 Nov 2016, 5:36 pm

Lobo wrote:McDonald’s unveils new job-killing self-service machines thanks to ‘Fight for $15’

Brandon Morse  November 29, 2016 11:37 pm  

It shouldn’t be any surprise to anyone with a slim understanding of economics that driving up costs for businesses means bad news for customers and employees alike. In terms of driving up wages by force, there were only two results that could follow. Either that business was going to have to lay off employees in order to afford their work force, or find a way to circumvent having employees in the first place.
    In the case of the major fast food chain McDonald’s, they took the latter path and rolled out a shiny new line of self-service machines that allow you to order your food without the need for employees at a register. This happened after many cities forced the businesses in their cities to raise the minimum wage to $15 as a result of a nationwide protest called “Fight for $15.”
    Many had predicted this coming, including former CEO of McDonald’s USA Ed Rensi. Rensi wrote a guest post at Forbes on Tuesday that essentially had one message.
    “I told you so.”
    It brings me no joy to write these words. The push for a $15 starter wage has negatively impacted the career prospects of employees who were just getting started in the workforce while extinguishing the businesses that employed them. I wish it were not so. But it’s important to document these consequences, lest policymakers elsewhere decide that the $15 movement is worth embracing.
    While McDonald’s certainly had trouble in cities featuring the raised wage, it was a minor bump in the road that they could afford to spend their way out of. Sadly, not every business has the capital this massive chain does, and businesses and workers will both suffer for it.

Of course, not all businesses have the capital necessary to shift from full-service to self-service. And that brings me to my next correct prediction–that a $15 minimum wage would force many small businesses to lay off staff, seek less-costly locations, or close altogether.
    Tragically, these stories—in California in particular–are too numerous to cite in detail here. They include a bookstore in Roseville, a pub in Fresno, restaurants and bakeries in San Francisco, a coffee shop in Berkeley, grocery stores in Oakland, a grill in Santa Clara, and apparel manufacturers through the state. In September of this year, nearly one-quarter of restaurant closures in the Bay Area cited labor costs as one of the reasons for shutting down operations. And just this past week, a California-based communications firm announced it was moving 75 call center jobs from San Diego to El Paso, citing the state’s rising minimum as the “deciding factor.” (Dozens of additional stories can be found at the website FacesOf15.com.)
    These machines have been looming on the horizon since 2013, but now with the success of the protests, we’re beginning to see the fruits of their non-labor. Hopefully, people will abandon their quest through forced higher wages via the government as their community suffers under the financial burden.
    http://www.theblaze.com/news/2016/11/29/mcdonalds-unveils-new-job-killing-self-service-machines-thanks-to-fight-for-15

Sadly, no surprise here...they don't get it!!!
    fonz1951
    fonz1951
    Interacting Investor
    Interacting Investor

McDonald’s unveils new job-killing self-service machines thanks to ‘Fight for $15’ Empty Re: McDonald’s unveils new job-killing self-service machines thanks to ‘Fight for $15’

Post by fonz1951 Wed 30 Nov 2016, 9:06 pm

double edged sword. it's no surprise to me, and i could really care less, i don't care for mc. donalds and never go into one, but, i have a friend that works for them and depends on that paycheck to live on. i would hate to see her lose because of this, but she will probably be better off if she did lose her job.
    Neno
    Neno
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Neno Thu 01 Dec 2016, 3:38 am

I do, I only do tho when needing to take a Obama. That will change tho to doing the Trump!
    Lobo
    Lobo

Post by Lobo Thu 01 Dec 2016, 11:13 am

That's a good one Neno.

funny funny funny

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 25 Jun 2024, 5:56 pm