Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Many Topics Including The Oldest Dinar Community. Copyright © 2006-2020

Schneider steals the Devils a point in overtime loss to the Oilers

jedi17
    jedi17

Schneider steals the Devils a point in overtime loss to the Oilers Empty Schneider steals the Devils a point in overtime loss to the Oilers

Post by jedi17 Sun 08 Jan 2017, 9:37 pm

Schneider steals the Devils a point in overtime loss to the Oilers

Yesterday the New Jersey Devils played host to the Edmonton Oilers and, for the second time in as many nights, lost in unconvincing fashion.

While the 2-1 scoreline suggests a close game, the Devils were outplayed significantly from the word go and were very lucky to come away with a point.

A few notes:

1) Cory Schneider has had a down year, especially by his standards, but last night he turned back the clock a bit and looked a lot like the guy we've seen consistently over the last five years or so.

He was peppered with shots yet continuously came up with big saves (including several on Connor McDavid) and was the biggest, if not only reason the Devils got something out of this game.

The Toronto game was a stinker, obviously, but Schneider has been much better of late posting a .953 save percentage or better in three of his last four starts.

With the way New Jersey's defense has been playing, they're going to need performances like last night pretty frequently if they want to make things interesting down the stretch.

2) The Devils were truly overmatched at 5v5. In that game state, they were out-attempted by 33, outshot by 15 and out-chanced by 14.

Not that one roster change would have made all the difference, but why is Beau Bennett sitting for Luke Gazdic again? The Devils have a lesser roster than many teams to begin with. They don't need to expand the difference with poor roster decisions.

3) McDavid's speed stole the show -- he blew by New Jersey's defenders countless times -- but Miles Wood came a close 2nd in that regard.

It seems every game he catches a defender or two flat-footed and blows by for a breakaway. That was the case again vs Edmonton and he was able to convert with a nice five-hole marker.

Wood is a very unpolished player, but his size and speed combo is so rare. He has the ability to flip the switch and alter the game at any moment.

4) I know the Devils aren't exactly loaded with offensively gifted defensemen, but if I ever see Kyle Quincey on the power play again it'll be too soon. Since the beginning of 2011, Quincey ranks 123rd among 129 eligible defensemen in 5v4 points per 60. Running a power play isn't exactly his specialty.

Current date/time is Wed 29 May 2024, 9:52 pm