Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Many Topics Including The Oldest Dinar Community. Copyright © 2006-2020

Calgary Flames

jedi17
    jedi17

Calgary Flames  Empty Calgary Flames

Post by jedi17 Mon 06 Feb 2017, 8:39 pm

On Elliott, Bennett, riding the top-4 and more
    February 6, 2017, 11:39 AM ET [89 Comments]
    Todd Cordell
    Calgary Flames  Cgy Calgary Flames Blogger • RSS • Archive • CONTACT
    Follow me on Twitter @ToddCordell

A few Calgary Flames notes on this off-day:​

1) Brian Elliott wasn't abysmal against the New York Rangers but it was another game in which the Flames didn't get a quality start from their goaltender.

There's certainly an argument to be made that Chad Johnson should get the nod in goal next time out but I'd go back to Elliott.

There are a few methods to my madness:

a) Elliott was good against Ottawa, good against Minnesota and good (at even-strength) against New Jersey prior to his performance against the Rangers, who are 2nd in the league in goals. 

He has given the Flames a legitimate chance to win in three of the last four and is slowly starting to play better. If the Flames go back to him again it'll surely be a confidence booster and could be what he needs to get back on track and stay there for an extended period of time.

b) Johnson has allowed 12 goals over his last three starts and hasn't appeared in a game since January 24th. Do you want to throw a cold, struggling goaltender back into the crease on the road against the league's best offensive team? I don't.

c) If Johnson gets the net and has a rough outing in Pittsburgh, the Flames will head into the bye week with two goalies struggling and feeling bad about themselves.

They could go with Elliott, hope for the best, and if things go wrong they can give Johnson the lay-up game at home against Arizona in the first game after the break. 

2) Sam Bennett is starting to play better despite the results not being there. Over the last two games, the Flames have out-attempted the opposition 34-14 at 5v5 (70.83 Corsi For%) and Bennett has four shots on target. I think he and Kris Versteeg work well together and the points will come sooner or later.

3) The Matthew Tkachuk - Mikael Backlund - Michael Frolik line has been Calgary's best, in terms of driving possession and generating offense, for the majority of the season but they admittedly have slowed a little of late. It was nice to see them get back on track against the Rangers creating two goals and tallying 11 shots combined. If they can chip in, and the Johnny Gaudreau line plays like it has of late, the Flames are going to be a tough out for anyone.

4) Everyone in the top-4 played at least 22:50 against the high-powered Rangers while Deryk Engelland and Jyrki Jokipakka saw just 12 minutes of ice. Glen Gulutzan was clearly worried about them being exposed by the Rangers' speed/skill and rode his top guys as a result.

With just one more game prior to a five-day break, I wouldn't be surprised to see Gulutzan play his top guys into the ground tomorrow night, especially considering they're facing the top offensive team in the league. 

Current date/time is Sun 19 May 2024, 11:48 pm