Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Many Topics Including The Oldest Dinar Community. Copyright © 2006-2020

New York Times: Thousands of people rush to Syria or leave Turkey

Rocky
    Rocky
    Admin Assist
    Admin Assist

New York Times: Thousands of people rush to Syria or leave Turkey Empty New York Times: Thousands of people rush to Syria or leave Turkey

Post by Rocky Wed 07 Feb 2018, 1:25 am

New York Times: Thousands of people rush to Syria or leave Turkey -1
    New York Times: Thousands of people rush to Syria or leave Turkey

Translation / Range 

According to US classified information and other intelligence and military intelligence estimates, thousands of militants who have appealed to foreigners and their family members have fled areas of a US military campaign in eastern Syria, a wave of flight that could threaten to spoil US statements that the militant organization has largely defeated it.
    Many of the gunmen fled to the southern and western regions of Syria via the Syrian army, while others sought shelter near the Syrian capital Damascus and in the northwestern regions, where they are waiting for orders sent to them by the organization's leaders via encrypted communication channels. 
    Other armed militants, some of them trained in chemical weapons, have defected to join al Qaeda's wing in Syria, while foreign militants have paid tens of thousands of dollars to smugglers to transport them across the border into Turkey, hoping to return home to Europe. 
    US Secretary of Homeland Security Christine Nielsen said last week that "armed jihadists are fleeing to Syria and Iraq. These terrorists have gone to secret hideouts and spread to other safe havens, including their online connections and some of them are returning to their countries."
    Estimates of the number of insurgents who fled to the deserts of Syria and Iraq can not be determined exactly, but American and other counterterrorism and Western intelligence agencies are familiar with classified documents, putting their numbers in several thousand. Many of them traveled with their wives and children. 
    New intelligence estimates, backed by reports from analysts and smugglers in the region, suggest that armed jihadists are fleeing to more convenient and welcome areas of Iraq and Syria, or to other countries where they can be out of sight. 
    Government and independent analysts in Syria and Washington, including the Institute for War Studies, said there was a thriving trade of arms smuggling across the border into Turkey, where intelligence officials believe the smuggling has ties to secret cells.
    According to the British-based human rights watchdog, prominent leaders of a sympathetic organization in Raqqa, Deir al-Zour and the Euphrates basin have paid bribes ranging from $ 20,000 to $ 30,000 for safe passage to Turkey. 
    "I smuggled some 50 gunmen from an organization into Turkey," said Abu Omar, a smuggler who works between Syria and Turkey. "They were a mixture of Syrian and foreign militants, often disguised as women, helping them evade Turkish border patrols. 
    The smuggler Abu Omar said the number of fugitives and senior leaders, including many foreigners, had stepped up when the US-backed attack on Rakka began last summer.
    "I was surprised when I saw them, dressed in elegant clothes, with classic jeans and many necklaces, trying to hide their identities as much as possible," Abu Omar said in a message posted on Wattsb.com, "They hid their passports in their shoes and were so skinny they could not You never expect them to be armed, never spoke Arabic, just a few words. "
    عن About: New York Times / Eric Schmidt

Current date/time is Fri 17 May 2024, 11:30 pm