Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Many Topics Including The Oldest Dinar Community. Copyright © 2006-2020

Political Crisis Deepens in Iraq

Rocky
    Rocky
    Admin Assist
    Admin Assist

Political Crisis Deepens in Iraq  Empty Political Crisis Deepens in Iraq

Post by Rocky Mon 11 Aug 2014, 4:09 am

Political Crisis Deepens in Iraq 

Prime Minister Lashes Out at President as Security Forces Deploy Around Baghdad 

BAGHDAD-Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki denounced Iraq's president on national television Sunday for failing to nominate him for another term as prime minister, as security forces deployed in unusual numbers throughout the capital.

It was unclear early Monday how far Mr. Maliki intended to press his concerns; he said only that he would take the newly elected President Fuad Masum to court for allegedly violating the constitution.

View Graphics

But his fiery tone, history of obstinance and the surprising deployment of security forces in Baghdad sparked whispers that the prime minister may intend to cling to power by force. That could throw further political instability on a country already cleaved apart by a powerful Islamist uprising.

"We have noticed suspicious security movements in Baghdad, distribution for forces and tanks which if persist can be considered a coup," a former senior Kurdish official involved in the negotiations said. "So far, we have not reached that point. It's only Maliki showing his muscles."

The security forces were deploying particularly in the so-called Green Zone, which includes the prime minister's home as well as the parliament building, crucial government offices and many embassies. The president's home is located elsewhere.

Without explaining what the confrontation was all about, US officials, who have made clear their desire to see a new leader who could form an inclusive government, threw their support behind Mr. Masum.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Current date/time is Tue 04 Jun 2024, 7:34 pm