BBQ Mop Sauce
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Use a barbecue mop, a basting brush or even a clean paintbrush to apply this mop to meat while it’s being barbecued to keep it moist. Chef Ben Ford likes to use a bunch of rosemary sprigs tied together to dab this flavorful sauce on his 8-Hour Smoked Brisket .
- 1 1/2 cups (12 fl. oz./375 ml) beer (preferably not dark)
- 1/2 cup (4 fl. oz./125 ml) apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup (2 fl. oz./60 ml) water
- 1/4 cup (2 fl. oz./60 ml) vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup (1.5 oz./45 g) Texas BBQ Dry Rub
- 2 Tbs. Worcestershire sauce
- 2 Tbs. minced serrano chile
- 1 Tbs. peppercorns
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 4 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 bay leaf
Directions:In a saucepan over low heat, combine all the ingredients and stir together. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes, until the flavors are combined. Makes about 4 cups (1 l).
Adapted from Taming the Feast: Ben Ford’s Field Guide to Adventurous Cooking, by Ben Ford and Carolynn Carreño (Atria Books, 2014).