Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Many Topics Including The Oldest Dinar Community. Copyright © 2006-2020

President Obama poised to invoke national security waivers to release Gitmo prisoners

lonelyintexas
    lonelyintexas
    Interacting Investor
    Interacting Investor

President Obama poised to invoke national security waivers to release Gitmo prisoners Empty President Obama poised to invoke national security waivers to release Gitmo prisoners

Post by lonelyintexas Wed 10 Jul 2013, 2:35 pm

President Obama poised to invoke national security waivers to release Gitmo prisoners

Wed Jul 10, 2013, 02:29 PM

Congress allowed the administration to waive the certification requirements so long as the secretary of Defense could “substantially mitigate” any risk that a released detainee would engage in terrorism once released.

The Obama administration has never used that waiver authority. But two senior administration sources tell Newsweek that Obama is now actively considering invoking the waivers on behalf of a handful of detainees.

Initially, the waivers would be used for prisoners whose home countries have a good record of safely resettling Guantánamo detainees. Among the countries who could soon start receiving Gitmo prisoners are Morocco, Algeria, and Saudi Arabia. (Transfers to Yemen, a country in the grip of an al Qaeda insurgency, would have to wait, officials say.)

Sloan, the Gitmo envoy, declined to comment on the issue of certification waivers. But he was unambiguous about the White House’s efforts to start emptying the 12-year-old military prison expeditiously.

“The president was very clear about the goal of closing Guantánamo,” he told Newsweek. “We are working as hard as we can and as quickly as we can to move forward, including discussions with foreign governments on possible transfers.”

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Current date/time is Fri 10 May 2024, 2:49 pm