Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Many Topics Including The Oldest Dinar Community. Copyright © 2006-2020

5 posters

Redskins To Battle Cowboys For NFC East Title

Neno
    Neno
    Admin
    Admin

Redskins To Battle Cowboys For NFC East Title Empty Redskins To Battle Cowboys For NFC East Title

Post by Neno Sun 30 Dec 2012, 1:27 pm

Redskins To Battle Cowboys For NFC East Title 121223074608_uspw_6777812

(WUSA) -- With the Redskins win over the Eagles, many fans are thinking that the NFC East title is just about theirs. Well, that's true, sort of.

The Redskins do control their own destiny. Simply put, win and they're in. Where there is confusion is what happens if the Redskins lose at home to the Cowboys. Some fans think that since the Giants lost, the Redskins should have clinched the NFC East today.

In the words of Lee Corso, "Not so fast my friend."

Here are the scenarios for who wins the NFC East.

Redskins (9-6)
    Remaining games: vs. Dallas (8-7)

For the Redskins, it's real simple. Win and you're in. They would have a better record than everybody in the NFC East.

Cowboys (8-7)

Remaining games: @ Washington (9-6)

Dallas just needs to beat Washington. If the Giants beat the Eagles here's how the division would end up: 1. Dallas (9-7), 2. Washington (9-7), 3. New York Giants (9-7). So, how does the NFL come to that conclusion?

Here's the NFL's rules for a 3-team tiebreaker inside a division:
    (Note: If the Giants lose, the same rules apply to the 2-team tiebreaker.)

Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games among the clubs).
    Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the division.
    Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games.
    Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
    Strength of victory.
    Strength of schedule.
    Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
    Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
    Best net points in common games.
    Best net points in all games.
    Best net touchdowns in all games.
    Coin toss

So, based on those rules, here's how the tiebreaker would play out.

Redskins, Cowboys, and Giants all went 2-2 against each other. No teams eliminated
    Redskins and Cowboys went 4-2 in NFC East, Giants go 3-3 in division. NY Giants eliminated (no teams eliminated in 2-team tiebreaker scenario if Giants lose)
    Redskins went 7-5 against Saints (Win), Bengals (Loss), Buccaneers (Win), Falcons (Loss), Giants (Loss, Win), Steelers (Loss), Panthers (Loss), Eagles (Win, Win), Ravens (Win), and Browns (Win).

Cowboys went 8-4 against those same teams: Saints (Loss), Bengals (Win), Buccaneers (Win), Falcons (Loss), Giants (Win, Loss), Steelers (Win), Panthers (Win), Eagles (Win, Win), Ravens (Loss), and Browns (Win). Redskins eliminated, Cowboys win NFC East.

The three losses that hurt the Redskins the most in this scenario: The Panthers game (they're 6-9), the Steelers game (all those dropped passes and RGIII ran for just 8 yards... the Skins rushed for just 86 yards as a team), and the Bengals game (home debut for RGIII).

Conversely, look what the Cowboys did against those three opponents: Panthers (Dan Bailey hits two field goals in last four minutes, Cowboys win by five), Steelers (Cowboys tie game up with 6:55 left in regulation, win in OT on a Dan Bailey field goal), Bengals (Cowboys rally from 19-10 deficit in the fourth quarter to win on a Dan Bailey field goal at the end of the game.)

Sure the Redskins could still make the playoffs as a wild card. But the easiest, and most ideal, path to the playoffs is to win the division and get a home playoff game. Considering that Mike Shanahan worked for Al Davis once upon a time, I wouldn't be surprised if he tells the team on Sunday before the game to "Just win, baby."

Note: To everybody citing the Redskins superior conference record, that's the fourth tiebreaker. If the Redskins and Cowboys had identical records versus common opponents, conference record would apply. In this case, it does not. Also, if the Redskins and Cowboys were battling for a wild card spot, and were in different divisions, conference record is the second tiebreaker after head-to-head record. Because of the NFL's scheduling structure, divisional rivals play very similar schedules with the exception of a couple games. So comparing records versus common opponents carries more weight than conference record.
    pacman2010
    pacman2010
    Quiet Investor
    Quiet Investor

Redskins To Battle Cowboys For NFC East Title Empty Re: Redskins To Battle Cowboys For NFC East Title

Post by pacman2010 Sun 30 Dec 2012, 11:35 pm

Ya know my family have been Cowboy fans forever... but Romo... is killing me. Congrats to RG3 and the skins. Maybe the off season will turn up something positive for the 'boys.

Just my opinion... seems like Jerry Jones has been the poison in the water.Or maybe i just miss the good ole days of Landry and such.
    jbowhunter
    jbowhunter
    Dedicated Investor
    Dedicated Investor

Redskins To Battle Cowboys For NFC East Title Empty Re: Redskins To Battle Cowboys For NFC East Title

Post by jbowhunter Mon 31 Dec 2012, 10:19 am

pacman2010 wrote:Ya know my family have been Cowboy fans forever... but Romo... is killing me. Congrats to RG3 and the skins. Maybe the off season will turn up something positive for the 'boys.

Just my opinion... seems like Jerry Jones has been the poison in the water.Or maybe i just miss the good ole days of Landry and such.

Well Neno, maybe you should consider buying the 'Boys after the RV? I would ask for a seat in your Executive box tho when my Packers come to town! :lol:

At least you will have the option to buy your favorite team. I won't have that option as they are publicly owned! Happy New Year anyways and may the 'Boys have a good offseason with positive moves. Not too positive tho. LOL
    mollie09
    mollie09
    Understood Investor
    Understood Investor

Post by mollie09 Mon 31 Dec 2012, 11:17 am

Yep yep yep Romo is killing me !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! maybe next year..... :lol:
    Neno
    Neno
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Neno Mon 31 Dec 2012, 3:04 pm

I have been a avid supporter to ROMO thru it all but after again this last night, If my ROMO jersey wasn't so expensive, I would of cut it up in a million pieces after that once again bone ahead stupid play he has done over and over. I will admit tho, he may of had one more chance for redemption if the refs hadn't been so picky with the roughing the passer call on Hatcher which would of allowed them a field goal and left us with at least a minute. Oh well, this one will take me much longer to get over do to the fact 6 out of 7 times, ROMO has done this... Evil or Very Mad
    Wildman
    News Hound
    News Hound

Post by Wildman Mon 31 Dec 2012, 4:24 pm

Neno wrote:I have been a avid supporter to ROMO thru it all but after again this last night, If my ROMO jersey wasn't so expensive, I would of cut it up in a million pieces after that once again bone ahead stupid play he has done over and over. I will admit tho, he may of had one more chance for redemption if the refs hadn't been so picky with the roughing the passer call on Hatcher which would of allowed them a field goal and left us with at least a minute. Oh well, this one will take me much longer to get over do to the fact 6 out of 7 times, ROMO has done this... Evil or Very Mad

Ahhh. We still got the Bengals........ WhoDey WhoDey. : )
    Neno
    Neno
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Neno Mon 31 Dec 2012, 5:51 pm

WE? Ok, at least I do like the NFL... ;)

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 08 May 2024, 6:09 am