Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Many Topics Including The Oldest Dinar Community. Copyright © 2006-2020

Calgary Flames

jedi17
    jedi17

Calgary Flames  Empty Calgary Flames

Post by jedi17 Tue 14 Mar 2017, 7:29 pm

Make it 10
    March 14, 2017, 11:17 AM ET [48 Comments]
    Todd Cordell
    Calgary Flames Blogger • RSS • Archive • CONTACT
    Follow me on Twitter @ToddCordell

Last night the Calgary Flames extended their winning streak to 10 games with a win over the Pittsburgh Penguins. In the process, they tied a franchise record that was set in the 1970's when the team was back in Atlanta.

A few notes on what was another important win:

1) I know the Penguins were without several key players (Patric Hornqvist, Kris Letang, etc.) but the likes of Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin, Phil Kessel and Marc-Andre Fleury were in the lineup so it's not as if the Flames were being handed two free points. They had to go out there and earn the points -- just as they did.

The Flames out-chanced the Penguins, who happen to be tied for 1st in the NHL despite all the injuries they've dealt with, and responded in short order whenever something didn't go their way.

I've said this countless times but I really think the Flames have what it takes to go on a deep run. As each game passes, it seems like more people are starting to agree.

2) Remember when Johnny Gaudreau was struggling (by his standards) and some suggested he was mailing it in after landing a fat contract? Good times, good times.

Gaudreau has tallied 20 points in his last 18 games and put on a show last night with the hockey world watching. Gaudreau seemed to have an extra burst in his step from the word go. He was darting around the ice, slipping through any gap he could find and creating chances on a shift-to-shift basis.

He also made long-time NHLers Ron Hainsey and Marc-Andre Fleury look like beer leaguers on his goal.

3) The Kris Versteeg signing continues to pay dividends for the Flames. He's really helped make the 3rd line an offensive threat and, though small in stature, he's also provided some sandpaper that coaches love to have.

After last night's two assist performance, Versteeg is producing at a 40 point pace over an 82 game schedule. That doesn't seem like a ton but is solid production in today's NHL, especially when you factor in how little the Flames are paying him to get that production.

4) Brian Elliott didn't post numbers that will jump off the page (he had a .914SV% vs Pittsburgh) but he was once again very solid. He made several highlight-caliber stops, including a couple flashy glove saves, and did a nice job of holding down the fort when the Penguins were pushing hard.

Elliott has posted a .914 save percentage or better in eight consecutive starts and allowed just 11 goals in that stretch. His SV% is now up to .910 on the year and rising nightly, which is incredible considering it was under .900 for months.

5) I have to give some credit to Matt Stajan for the way he continues to play on the 4th line. The Flames out-attempted the Pens 10-4 with his unit on the ice at 5v5, he had a couple good shifts on the penalty kill and chipped in offensively with an assist on Deryk Engelland's goal. I think he's going to be an important piece come playoff time.

6) If the Flames had a playoff game scheduled for tonight, they'd be hosting it. It's amazing how far this team has come.

Current date/time is Fri 10 May 2024, 3:27 pm