Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Many Topics Including The Oldest Dinar Community. Copyright © 2006-2020

Detroit Red Wings

jedi17
    jedi17

Detroit Red Wings  Empty Detroit Red Wings

Post by jedi17 Fri 31 Mar 2017, 7:55 pm

Nyquist turns into passing fancy
    March 31, 2017, 7:50 PM ET [0 Comments]
    Bob Duff
    Detroit Red Wings Blogger • RSS • Archive • CONTACT
    While his goal-scoring numbers have dropped for the third successive season, Detroit forward Gus Nyquist has quietly established a new career high with 32 assists.

“Yeah, probably the first couple, few years up here I had more goals than assists,” Nyquist said. He scored 28 goals as a rookie in 2013-14, and netted 27 goals in 2014-15 but slumped to 17 goals in 2015-16.

This season, Nyquist has scored a career-low 10 goals.

“I think previously in my career though, in college and stuff, I’ve always had more assists and been more of a passer,” Nyquist said. “Obviously I still would have liked to score more goals for sure, so I’m obviously not pleased with that.”

Detroit coach Jeff Blashill believes that Nyquist’s extreme goal-scoring exploits when he first jumped to the NHL branded him as a sniper in the eyes of many.

“One thing I’d caution on him in terms of goals, when you look back at Nyquie’s career, when it’s all said and done, I’m not sure that he’ll always be that high, high goal guy,” Blashill said. “When he came into the league he was kind of a 25-45 guy from the American League, from college.

“He excelled two years in a row of scoring lots of goals. I think for him to continue to do that, the power play’s got to be real effective. But I think he makes an impact regardless if he’s scoring or just making plays.

“I thought he was playing good earlier in the year. I think we were all dry. It’s hard to produce goals when the power play is as dry as it was but I think he’s played well all year. He’s at his best when he’s competing real hard and he’s skating up the ice with the puck, and I think he’s done that for the most part.”

In fact, Blashill believes Nyquist’s elite skills are first and foremost as a playmaker.

“I think Nyquie is an ultra-smart hockey player,” Blashill said. “He finds ways to score. He finds ways to make plays because he’s ultra-smart.

“I think he’s a big-time playmaker. Don’t get me wrong, he may score 30 again but I don’t think his career should be just judged on goals. I think he can be a guy who can produce points regardless if he’s scoring, or somebody on his line or (power play) unit is scoring.”

Nyquist may not be an elite goal scorer but he also isn’t someone who should barely be hitting double digits in goals, and he knows that.

“I still think I can score more goals than I have done,” Nyquist said. “There’s still some games left here this season and hopefully I can get a few more.”

Current date/time is Thu 09 May 2024, 8:18 pm