Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Many Topics Including The Oldest Dinar Community. Copyright © 2006-2020

Calgary Flames

jedi17
    jedi17

Calgary Flames Empty Calgary Flames

Post by jedi17 Mon 03 Apr 2017, 8:03 pm

Flames waste opportunity vs Ducks, slide out of mix for divisional spot
    April 3, 2017, 10:18 AM ET [84 Comments]
    Todd Cordell
    Calgary Flames Blogger • RSS • Archive • CONTACT
    Follow me on Twitter @ToddCordell

1) The Calgary Flames may have already clinched a playoff spot but they seem insistent on making life as difficult on themselves as possible down the stretch.

Including last night's loss to the Anaheim Ducks, the Flames have dropped four out of seven. Realistically they're probably out of the mix for a divisional spot -- it's hard to make up three points in three games -- and they're in danger of being caught and slipping to Wild Card 2, which would be a problem.

If the Preds were to pass the Flames, the latter would be forced to play Chicago. They've been as dominant as anyone in the 2nd half and they're great on home ice so playing four of seven in their building is less than ideal.

If the Flames can at least fend off the Preds and hold onto WC1, they'd get either Anaheim or Edmonton. The Oilers sit two back of Anaheim but have a game in hand, the tiebreaker, and a softer remaining schedule so they could definitely take top spot in the division.

Personally, I think the best realistic outcome for the Flames (and the fans!) would be settling into WC1, Edmonton winning the division, and a Battle of Alberta come Round 1. Seriously, how great would that be?

2) Glen Gulutzan really needs to break up the Matt Bartkowski - Deryk Engelland pairing and try something different. I know I pick on them a lot but that pairing probably the most glaring weakness on the roster and almost every night they impact the game in a negative way. They were on for a couple of goals last night, one of which came as a direct result of neither guy being able to move the puck out of the defensive zone.

If Calgary faces Edmonton, let's say, and the Oilers use last change to get Connor McDavid out against that pair it's going to be a bloodbath.

3) Last night's game was one of Calgary's biggest this season. The following forwards saw less ice than Troy Brouwer: Alex Chiasson. So, with a lot on the line, Gulutzan (smartly) decided Brouwer wasn't one of the guys he wanted playing meaningful minutes. This is Year 1 of a four-year pact.

4) On the bright side of things, Kris Versteeg continues to easily outplay his contract. It's possible Versteeg, who makes $950,000, hits 40 points despite missing more than 10 games. What a great signing he has been.

5) Anaheim out-chanced Calgary 23-11(!!) at 5v5 despite a) playing in the latter half of a back-to-back vs a rested opponent; b) on the road and; c) missing two top-4 defensemen in Hampus Lindholm and Sami Vatanen.

That's a game the Flames should have had and, really, the level of play wasn't that close. If Calgary does that again on Tuesday they're going to get shelled.

Current date/time is Thu 09 May 2024, 4:20 pm