Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Many Topics Including The Oldest Dinar Community. Copyright © 2006-2020

U.S. transfers 9 Guantánamo prisoners to Saudi Arabia

Lobo
    Lobo

U.S. transfers 9 Guantánamo prisoners to Saudi Arabia Empty U.S. transfers 9 Guantánamo prisoners to Saudi Arabia

Post by Lobo Sun 17 Apr 2016, 5:00 pm

U.S. transfers 9 Guantánamo prisoners to Saudi Arabia

10:09 a.m. ET

U.S. transfers 9 Guantánamo prisoners to Saudi Arabia GettyImages-516125820
    Nicolas Garcia/AFP/Getty Images

The U.S. transferred nine Guantánamo prisoners to Saudi Arabia on Saturday as part of a years-long diplomatic effort to get the nation to accept detainees from neighboring Yemen.
    "There have been a lot of discussions with the Saudis over the last few years, and they have been emphatic that it was very important to close Guantánamo," former State Department envoy Cliff Sloan told The New York Times. "They wanted to help with that. But the one thing they weren't willing to do for a long time was actually accept Yemenis. That's why this is a major breakthrough."
    The U.S. didn't want to return prisoners to Yemen due to the country's active al Qaeda affiliate.
    The move comes ahead of President Obama's Wednesday visit to Riyadh. After the transfer, 80 prisoners remain at Guantánamo. Julie Kliegman
    http://theweek.com/speedreads/619054/transfers-9-guantnamo-prisoners-saudi-arabia

Current date/time is Thu 09 May 2024, 12:50 am