Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Many Topics Including The Oldest Dinar Community. Copyright © 2006-2020

Calgary Flames

jedi17
    jedi17

Calgary Flames  Empty Calgary Flames

Post by jedi17 Thu 26 Jan 2017, 8:48 pm

G52 Calgary Flames @ Ottawa Senators: Snap the streak
    January 26, 2017, 11:25 AM ET [57 Comments]
    Todd Cordell
    Calgary Flames  Cgy Calgary Flames Blogger • RSS • Archive • CONTACT
    Follow me on Twitter @ToddCordell

Tonight the Calgary Flames will be looking to conclude their road trip through Eastern Canada with a win, and snap a four-game skid in the process, as they take on the Ottawa Senators.

The Flames enter this game playing their worst hockey of the season. They have allowed 20 goals over their four-game losing streak and lost six of their last seven overall. They've not only been losing games but have routinely been blown out and looked lifeless in the process.

As a result of this poor stretch, they no longer hold a playoff spot. They have also played two more games than the team they're chasing (Vancouver) and three more than the team sitting one point behind them (Los Angeles).

If the Flames are going to get into the playoffs, they're going to have to start picking up points on a pretty routine basis.

Meanwhile, the Senators, a surprise team to many like myself, continue to chug along. They've won six of 10 and current sit 2nd in the Atlantic Division. 

Everyone expected they'd score their share of goals, but I don't think anyone expected the defense and goaltending (with Mike Condon between the pipes) to hold up like it has. 

Couple Sens' players doing their part with a handful of teams underachieving (Tampa Bay, Florida, Boston) and it's not hard to see why they sit where they do in the standings.

This will be another tough test for a Flames team struggling to find its way.

Here are the expected line combinations for the Flames:

Matthew Tkachuk - Mikael Backlund - Michael Frolik
    Johnny Gaudreau - Sean Monahan - Alex Chiasson
    Kris Versteeg - Sam Bennett - Troy Brouwer
    Lance Bouma - Matt Stajan - Freddie Hamilton

Mark Giordano - Dougie Hamilton
    T.J. Brodie - Dennis Wideman
    Brett Kulak - Deryk Engelland

Brian Elliott/Chad Johnson

And the expected lines for the Senators (via dailyfaceoff.com):

**Tommy Wingels is expected to debut, no word yet where he'll slot in

Mike Hoffman - Kyle Turris - Bobby Ryan
    Zack Smith - Derick Brassard - Mark Stone
    Ryan Dzingel - J.G. Pageau - Tom Pyatt
    Curtis Lazar - Chris Kelly - Chris Neil

Marc Methot - Erik Karlsson
    Dion Phaneuf - Cody Ceci
    Frederik Claesson - Chris Wideman

Mike Condon

A few notes:

1) The Phaneuf - Ceci pairing has struggled this year controlling ~45% of the score adjusted shot attempts and having a negative goal differential. That's the pairing the Flames should target with the Gaudreau line. It could be just what he needs to get back on track.

2) I hate to use the easy narratives mainstreamers use at times, but the first goal is very important in this game. Of late, the Flames look like they're just waiting for something bad to happen and, in the last game before a handful of days off, it'd be easy to mail it in if things don't go their way early. If they can get the first goal they'll regain some confidence, have some jump in their step and be engaged in the game. That's what they need.

3) Another important factor: special teams. The Flames have allowed at least one power play goal in four straight and a short-handed goal in two straight. It's hard to win when you lose the special teams battle every night.

Tonight's game is scheduled for 7:30 eastern and can be seen on TSN5, SNW and RDS.

Current date/time is Wed 01 May 2024, 10:59 pm