Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Many Topics Including The Oldest Dinar Community. Copyright © 2006-2020

Carolina Hurricanes

jedi17
    jedi17

Carolina Hurricanes Empty Carolina Hurricanes

Post by jedi17 Thu 09 Mar 2017, 8:24 pm

The Leadership Question for Canes
    March 9, 2017, 3:06 PM ET [4 Comments]
    Ben Case
    Carolina Hurricanes Car Carolina Hurricanes Blogger • RSS • Archive • CONTACT
    The Canes are taking on the Rangers tonight for their fourth and final match-up. The last two match-ups saw the Rangers win games that the Canes mostly controlled through the first two periods. It has been the story line for much of the year, as the Canes have lost countless games in the third period. 

Goaltending and defensive lapses have all too often cost the Canes most of those games. While those two factors have been an issue, I do wonder if they have been compounded because of a lack of leadership on the Canes roster. It has been over a year now since the Canes traded Eric Staal and they have not had a set captain on their team since then—Staal, Skinner, Rask and Faulk are the assistant captains. 

On March 3rd, after the 4-2 loss to the Coyotes, Coach Peters was asked about needing a captain and having someone that put the “team on their back.” Coach Peters noted that, “you don’t have to be a captain to lead the way.” I think his point was relatively clear—he meant that regardless of having a leader in the room, everyone has the potential to lead by doing their job each shift. 

I only saw the last seven minutes of the Canes game on March 5th, as they took on the Coyotes again. What stood out in that game was that Derek Ryan led the team in the final minutes. Many will look at the GWG that he had, however, that isn’t what impressed me. 

Ryan had a shift with around two minutes left where he made a key defensive back-check and broke up a play in the high slot. It was the type of defensive play that the Canes previously haven’t made in the third period. Many times this season the opponents have found guys open in the high slot on transitional plays and scored pivotal third period goals. 

I believe this is the type of effort that Coach Peters was referring to. You have to have the guys on the ice perform shift in and out. Looking at the Canes roster of youth, there is also another factor that stands out—almost none of them have won cups, let alone played in the NHL playoffs. 

It really isn’t that surprising given that the Canes are in a seven season post-season draught, thus, any player drafted by them recently obviously wouldn’t have that type of experience. In fact, the only players who have ever played in the playoffs are Stempniak, Teravainen, McClement, Nordstrom, Staal Lack and Ward. Only Staal, Ward and Tervainen really experienced the true rigor of having to compete through all four rounds to win the cup though (Nordstrom didn’t play many games with Hawks in playoffs). 

As one can see, most of the guys who bring the understanding of what you have to do to become a playoff team are free agents/trades. The ones that the Canes have brought in by no means have that reputation for commanding respect. So, to some extent I do question the need for veteran and experienced leadership to show these young guys what “being a winner” looks like. 

One really has to question the leadership as one of the factors that cost the Canes so many games in the past six or so weeks. Many guys stopped doing the little things and played outside Coach Peters’ system that previously won them games and it became noticeable. To me, that is why the play Ryan made in the Canes win on March 5th was so key. 

My fear is that the youth on the Canes are now starting to experience losing at a consistent level—Slavin, Pesce, PDG, Rask, Hanifin, Lindholm, Murphy, and many more now will see two seasons or more of losing—many other Canes like Skinner, Staal, Ward and Faulk have many more than just two seasons now. Perpetual losing can sometimes seriously stunt development and can kill a “culture of winning.” I’d be willing to say that many of the problems with Eric Staal developed from being tired of being in an atmosphere of constant losing. 

Over the past two years, the Canes have developed well. However, if the losing continues and next year doesn’t get any better—the once 19 to 23 year old prospects from the past few years will probably begin to look less promising. Currently, the Canes struggle with too many players taking nights off and are too inconsistent with the intensity and effort. The need for strong, winning leadership is desperately needed for next season. 

The most recent game against the Avalanche was a perfect example of a team that took the night off. The Canes didn’t create much puck pressure, establish a fore-check or even take the body—it looked more like a no-checking men’s league performance. Ultimately, the Canes only had five total hits and the loss of Di Giuseppe and McGinn was readily noticeable—both of them have been recently impactful for establishing intensity, hits and the tone/pace on the ice. 

The Canes will have to bring significantly more effort tonight against the Rangers or the score will look similar to the blowouts against the Penguins, Blue Jackets and Capitals from January/February. 

I am also interested to see how Zykov looks—he was called up from Charlotte and will get his first NHL action tonight. This is the time where the Canes begin to find out which guys from Charlotte are NHL ready for next season. 

Regardless of missing the playoffs or not, the Canes need to focus on closing the season strong. The culture of winning needs to become a standard of expectation. It starts with tiny details, such as back-checking hard and breaking up plays—then the culture of winning is contagious and the expectations are a standard everyone wants to achieve. 

Puck drop is at 7:00 tonight and is on FSCR and MSG. Go Canes!

The anticipated lines tonight are:

Aho-Staal-Zykov
    Skinner-Rask-Lindholm
    Teravainen-Ryan-Stempniak
    Nordstrom-McClement-Brown

Slavin-Faulk
    Hanifin-Pesce
    Dahlbeck-Murphy

Current date/time is Tue 07 May 2024, 2:11 pm