Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Many Topics Including The Oldest Dinar Community. Copyright © 2006-2020

New York Rangers

jedi17
    jedi17

New York Rangers Empty New York Rangers

Post by jedi17 Thu 06 Apr 2017, 3:14 pm

Game 80: WAS 2 NYR 0, Playoff lineup hints gleaned from roster yesterday
    April 6, 2017, 8:34 AM ET [69 Comments]
    Jan Levine
    New York Rangers Blogger • RSS • Archive • CONTACT
    The Rangers lost in what was a meaningless game 2-0 to the Capitals, locking in the first round matchup against Montreal, as if it was really a question. With six regulars sitting with "bumps and bruises," the Rangers fielded their B squad and it showed. New York generated mild pressure on Braden Holtby but failed to bear him during the game. The one silver lining was that Henrik Lundqvist is slowly rounding into form, as he was very good last night in the loss.

Mats Zuccarello, Rick Nash, Jesper Fast, Ryan McDonagh (for the third straight game since the playoff-clincher), Nick Holden and Brady Skjei all sat. In their stead was Matt Puempel, Brandion Pirri, Pavel Buchnevich or Tanner Glass (your call), Kevin Klein, Adam Clendening and Steven Kampfer. A few of those may start in the playoffs, but that's six regulars sitting.

Neither of two goals allowed by Lundqvist were his fault. On the first. Alexander Ovechkin scored from his favorite spot at the left dot. Of course, it was like a shooting gallery, as Ovi must have had five cracks at it from there before scoring. If there was one aspect that annoyed from the game, it was that New York failed to overload to that side. On the 4-on-3, that's impossible, but at least hedge in that direction. I believe this continued a trend for Ovi where he has scored just once from anywhere but that spot in the past two months. On the goal, Ovi's shot ticked off Kevin Klein's glove and changed directions, beating Lundqvist. Either fully block the shot or get out of the way and don't screen the goalie.

On the second, Dan Girardi trailed the rush and got caught up ice. Evgeni,Kuznetsov got behind Oscar Lindberg and J.T. Miller with Brendan Smith expecting help, though none came, but he needs to play the gap and Miller didn't bust it back up ice. Breakaway goal.

A few nuggets may be able to be gleaned from the lineup last night:

- Marc Staal and Kevin Klein playing again together for the third straight game could be a duo we see in the post-season. That would leave four spots open. Three are McD, G and Skjei. The fourth might be Smith over Holden. We discussed this a lot as to who should play. Personally, I would prefer Holden over Klein but that may be the direction it goes. If it's Staal and Klein, then I would expect to see McD and G and Skjei and probably Smith.

- Despite all the shuffling due to the absences up front, AV kept Michael Grabner, Kevin Hayes and Miller together. He is likely trying to recapture the early-season magic. Look for that trio to stay intact to start the playoffs.

- The Blueshirt Bulletin postulated this: "Buchnevich filled in for Mats Zuccarello, while Jimmy Vesey played with Mike Zibanejad. It looks like Buchnevich will indeed be a healthy scratch or on the fourth line when the postseason begins and Vesey will slot in next to Zibanejad and Nash in a top-nine role." If the Grabner-Hayes-Miller trio sticks together and we know Kreider-Stepan-Zucc will be trio that leaves one spot next to Nash and Zib and one spot next to Lindberg-Fast.

Larry Brooks today speculated that the fourth line winger will be Tanner Glass. He brings a bit of sandpaper, grit and muscle to the fourth line. Granted, he lacks the offensive skill and puck-possession ability that a Vesey or Buch would bring to that trio. But facing the Montreal fourth line, which is made up on bruisers and physical play, AV may opt to match fire with fire. If he does so, it will be Glass on the fourth line.

Vesey will likely get the first shot next to Zib and Nash. But I could see Buch getting a crack as well. In addition, don't be shocked if Miller moves up, Grabner moves down, Vesey and Buch play next to Hayes and Glass sits, especially if New York is down a game. The forwards, save for the Stepan line, will be mixed and mashed.

Current date/time is Wed 08 May 2024, 2:57 am