Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Many Topics Including The Oldest Dinar Community. Copyright © 2006-2020

Iraqi lawmakers wary of impact of Turkish referendum outcome

jedi17
    jedi17

Iraqi lawmakers wary of impact of Turkish referendum outcome Empty Iraqi lawmakers wary of impact of Turkish referendum outcome

Post by jedi17 Thu 20 Apr 2017, 7:44 pm

Iraqi lawmakers wary of impact of Turkish referendum outcome
    By Rudaw 17 hours ago
    The victorious ’Yes’ voters celebrate the result of the constitutional-referendum. Photo: AFP
    The victorious ’Yes’ voters celebrate the result of the constitutional-referendum. Photo: AFP
    BAGHDAD, Iraq— Changing the political system in Turkey from parliamentarism to presidential rule could have long-term consequences for the regional countries including the neighbouring Iraq, according to several Iraqi lawmakers who predict a shift in Turkish relations with its troubled southern neighbour.

The constitutional reforms, which is yet to be endorsed by the parliament after winning the public vote this weekend, would enable the president to issue decrees, declare emergency rule, appoint ministers and top state officials and dissolve parliament - powers that could have ramifications for Turkish foreign policy toward Iraq, lawmakers believe.

“When all the powers are concentrated in the hands of one person, the system will usually pave the way for dictatorships,” says Iraqi Shiite lawmaker Salim Shawqi who fears increased Turkish intervention in Iraqi politics.

“I think the referendum outcome will have negative impact on Iraqi-Turkish relations. Parliamentary system is the best form of governance in this region,” Shawqi added.

Turkey has several hundred military advisors and personnel in Iraq who have been engaged in training the Sunni militia in Nineveh Plains despite Baghdad’s objection.

Relations between the two countries normalised last year after tensions peaked ahead of Mosul operation with Baghdad demanding Turkish troops in Nineveh to leave the area.

“Turkey will have increased role in the region after the referendum and if Iraqi relations with Ankara remain strained, the outcome will be detrimental for Baghdad as some Iraqi parties have antagonistic approach towards Turkey,” said Iraqi Kurdish lawmaker Muthanna Amin.

Iraq’s Turkmen population have in the past viewed Turkey as their main regional supporter although Ankara has over the past years remained largely uninvolved in Turkmen issues in Iraq.

“Unfortunately Turkey did not come to the rescue of the Shiite Turkmen when their city Talaafar was overrun by the ISIS militants, but we sincerely hope the Turkish government will show genuine stance with regards to the grievances of the Turkmen people in the country,” said Turkmen lawmaker Nahla Hababi.

Current date/time is Sat 11 May 2024, 11:11 am