Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Many Topics Including The Oldest Dinar Community. Copyright © 2006-2020

Detroit Red Wings

jedi17
    jedi17

Detroit Red Wings Empty Detroit Red Wings

Post by jedi17 Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:21 pm

Capital Punishment
    February 9, 2017, 11:14 PM ET [8 Comments]
    Bob Duff
     Detroit Red Wings Det Detroit Red Wings Blogger • RSS • Archive • CONTACT
    After a couple of games looking like they belonged with top NHL opposition, the Detroit Red Wings once more looked like a team that belongs at the bottom of the Eastern Conference.

The Wings were outplayed and manhandled by the Washington Capitals, losing 6-3 Thursday.

“I think they out competed us,” Detroit forward Anthony Mantha told reporters. “They were on us right away. We tried to do a few breakouts and they always had a guy over us. 

“They played really well and we couldn’t build anything in the neutral zone or in their zone. They were all over us when we tried to break out the puck. They kept that pressure going and we just couldn’t build anything except chipping the puck out. They would regroup and come back right away on us.”

Coach Jeff Blashill was equally disappointed by his team’s regression after strong performances against Nashville and Columbus.

“We got hemmed in our zone, had opportunities to get rid of the puck and get it out of our zone and just didn’t,” Blashill said. “I didn’t think we played good enough. I don’t think it’s a recipe for long-term success.

“I think we took real steps forward, playing a smart game in Nashville, playing a smart game against Columbus, playing extraordinarily hard against Columbus. Tonight, we had way too many turnovers when we didn’t need to and we had way too many stick checks. We didn’t win enough one-on-one battles.”

Ericsson Out
    The Red Wings won’t be seeing Jonathan Ericsson on their defense again for quite some time. Ericsson left the game after being checked in the first period by Washington center Nicklas Backstrom and the damage is serious.

“Johnny fractured his wrist, so he’ll be out - we don’t have a timetable for sure, but I’d say minimum for a while,” Blashill said. “We’re looking at maybe eight weeks.”

A lightning rod for criticism among Red Wings fans, Blashill felt that Ericsson’s critics would now learn his true value through this enforced absence.

“People don’t have enough respect for what 6-foot-5 and good skating can do for you,” Blashill said. “When you’re against big, physical men you need guys that can go against them and handle them as he can. And I’ve said that lots, he doesn’t get enough respect for that he brings to the table. 

“He’s a big, physical defenseman that can play against the very best in the league. It’s going to be a big loss for us moving forward.”

Howard Update
    The news wasn’t as bad in regards to goalie Jimmy Howard. Recovering from a knee injury, Howard left his rehab appearance with AHL Grand Rapids Wednesday in the third period after tweaking his knee.

Diagnosis Thursday indicated that Howard irritated the scar tissue in his knee and is listed as day to day. He will take the weekend off and test his knee again at the beginning of next week.

Sproul Back
    Ryan Sproul returned to the Detroit defense, his first appearance on the Red Wings blueline since Jan. 10 at Chicago, a 12-game absence.

“It’s been a long time,” Sproul said. “I’ve just got to come back and play the way I know I can, and produce some points and hopefully try to help with the power play as well.”

Sproul did produce, collecting an assist on the first of Andreas Athanasiou’s two goals on the night.

AA’s First PP
    Athanasiou’s second goal came on the power play and was the first power-play point of his NHL career.

“I was attacking down and the puck kind of got in the slot there and whenever I see (Thomas) Vanek with the puck, I just try to get to the open ice and I know which way it’s going to come,” Athanasiou said, explaining his tally.

Current date/time is Tue May 14, 2024 6:13 am