Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Many Topics Including The Oldest Dinar Community. Copyright © 2006-2020

Detroit Red Wings

jedi17
    jedi17

Detroit Red Wings Empty Detroit Red Wings

Post by jedi17 Sun 09 Apr 2017, 7:10 pm

Ready for the last round up
    April 9, 2017, 1:10 AM ET [2 Comments]
    Bob Duff
    Detroit Red Wings Blogger • RSS • Archive • CONTACT
    It will be a night to remember to conclude a season they would much rather forget.

The Detroit Red Wings will say farewell to Joe Louis Arena Sunday as they face the New Jersey Devils in the final game prior to moving into their new digs at Little Caesars Arena, and they will also bid adieu to the season without participating in the Stanley Cup playoffs for the first time since 1990.

“This building was amazing,” Detroit left-winger Tomas Tatar said. “Lots of good stuff happened here. Lots of players did amazing stuff here.

“Obviously will be missed but we are also looking forward to the new arena.”

What they aren’t looking forward to is another season on the outside looking in come playoff time.

“I’m just extraordinarily disappointed to be sitting where we’re sitting,” Detroit coach Jeff Blashill said. “I think our biggest focus this last month is to make sure we’re not sitting here again next year. Make sure these games matter next year.

“The fact that it’s the last game in the building, last year in the building, does it make it more disappointing, I don’t answer that. All I know is we’re extraordinarily disappointed, we’re not happy where we’re at at all, but that’s how the season has played out and we have to make sure we’re not sitting here again next year.”

Hank’s Grand
    Along with the JLA farewell festivities, Red Wings captain Henrik Zetterberg will be skating in his 1,000th NHL game on Sunday.

“That it will end up at tomorrow’s game makes it even more special,” Zetterberg said. “I couldn’t have picked a better game, I think. Just how it all fell out to be that game is remarkable.”

As to which will be the bigger deal to him, Zetterberg paused a moment before reaching a conclusion.

“Tough question,” he said. “I would say closing down the Joe. It’s going to be special game with all the history and all the players that are coming in for that game.

“Having all the fans in the building for that game, it’s going to be a night that we all will remember.”

The First One
    The Red Wings played host to the St. Louis Blues in the first game ever played at Joe Louis Arena on Dec. 27, 1979.

The Blues trailed 2-1 after two periods but Bernie Federko and Blair Chapman scored third-period goals to give St. Louis a 2-1 victory and drop the Wings to 10-16-7 on the season, at the time 17th overall in the 21-team NHL.

To Brian Sutter went the honor of scoring the first goal in the new rink when he tallied at 11:05 of the first period. Dennis Sobchuk garnered the first Detroit goal when he tied the game on assists from Mike Foligno and Reed Larson just 1:43 into the second period. Dan Bolduc put the Wings ahead 2-1 at 17:46 of the second frame. Current Wings radio analyst Paul Woods assisted on the goal, as did Sobchuk.

Mike Liut made 27 saves for the win. Rogie Vachon was tagged with the loss, stopping 22 shots.

The first penalty at the Joe was taken by Blues forward Mike Zuke at 14:27 of the first period. Willie Huber was assessed the first Detroit minor at 15:46 of the opening period. Blues defenseman Bryan Maxwell and Detroit forward Glenn Hicks engaged in the first fight at 16:51 of the second period.

At the time, the crowd of 19,742 was the largest to ever witness a hockey game in Detroit. The previous mark was 16,678 for a 1978 game against the Montreal Canadiens.

No one threw an octopus on the ice - someone had done so during the last game at Olympia Stadium - and the fans booed the Red Wings.

It was Detroit’s sixth loss in nine games, causing Detroit GM Ted Lindsay to quip to the Windsor Star, “The only difference between this place and Olympia is 5,000 seats.”

Sobchuk had now played in a game at the JLA, Olympia Stadium and at Cobo Arena against the Michigan Stags when he played in the WHA.

Joe Louis Arena Firsts
    First Game: St. Louis 3 Detroit 2, Dec. 27, 1979
    First Goal: Brian Sutter
    First Detroit Goal: Dennis Sobchuk
    First Penalty: Mike Zuke
    First Detroit Penalty: Willie Huber
    First Fight: Glenn Hicks, Detroit; Bryan Maxwell, St. Louis
    First Detroit Win: Detroit 4 New York Islanders 2, Dec. 30, 1979
    First Detroit GWG: Errol Thompson
    First Detroit Win (goalie): Rogie Vachon
    First Detroit Shutout: Rogie Vachon (Detroit 4 New York Rangers 0, Jan. 8, 1980)

Red Wings Joe Louis Arena Leaders
    Games: Nicklas Lidstrom 789
    Goals: Steve Yzerman 330
    Assists: Steve Yzerman 567
    Penalty Minutes: Bob Probert 1,068
    Wins: Chris Osgood 177

Visitors Joe Louis Arena Leaders
    Games: Neal Broten/Doug Gilmour 48
    Goals: Brett Hull 26
    Assists: Wayne Gretzky 52
    Penalty Minutes: Todd Ewen 112
    Wins: Ed Belfour 14