Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Many Topics Including The Oldest Dinar Community. Copyright © 2006-2020

Detroit Red Wings

jedi17
    jedi17

Detroit Red Wings  Empty Detroit Red Wings

Post by jedi17 Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:08 pm

Slow start again sinks Red Wings
    January 31, 2017, 11:48 PM ET [2 Comments]
    Bob Duff
     Detroit Red Wings  Det Detroit Red Wings Blogger • RSS • Archive • CONTACT
    In this season of change for the Detroit Red Wings, little seems to change.

They talk about knowing what they need to do, about starting on time, about taking care of the puck in their own end.

Then the game starts and the same familiar failings come to the fore.

A 4-3 loss Tuesday to the New Jersey Devils offered up a well-rehearsed routine. The Devils scored two quick goals, and raced to a 4-1 lead. Then the Wings decided to show up and did just enough to lose a close one.

It’s enough to leave a fellow speechless, such as Detroit left-winger Tomas Tatar, for instance.

“I am looking for words but it’s tough to find them,” Tatar said, seeking an explanation for their lack of urgency. “We didn’t start on time for sure and they were just better. 

“It’s tough in the NHL when you are always behind. It’s just costing you too much energy to catch up in the game. 

“That’s why we lost today.”

Detroit coach Jeff Blashill was equally perplexed.

“Not good enough for certain,” Blashill said. “We’ve got to come out and have better starts than that, for sure.”

At least Blashill could point to a reason for their early woes.

“We mismanaged the puck, I thought,” Blashill said. “When you mismanage the puck, that puts you on your heels and that’s what happens. We turned pucks over and when you turn pucks over, you end up on your heels.”

Minus One
    Well, at least there were three goals scored while Detroit enjoyed the man advantage. Trouble is, two of them ended up in the Red Wings net.

The Devils scored a pair of shorthanded goals to offset a Tatar tally that ended a 1-for-21 skid for the dismal Detroit power play.

The Wings failed to garner a single shot on goal during a 1:16 five-on-three advantage in the first period.

“Familiar tune, the power play in the end cost us,” Blashill said. “We scored the one goal but obviously give up two shorties. “You’ve got a five-on-three for a minute-some, you’ve got to score on that. 

“We got out-specialty teamed tonight and in the end that’s the difference in the game.”

His First
    One of the few bright spots for the Wings of late has been the play of rookie defenseman Nick Jensen, who was rewarded with his first NHL goal when he threw the puck in front of the net and it squeaked through the pads of Devils goalie Cory Schneider.

“It’s always a personal goal that you want to achieve but it’s never as sweet without the win,” Jensen said. “I think it’s kind of bittersweet. 

“It’s a nice goal to get out of the way but I’d rather win all year and not score than score all the time and lose.”

Streak Going?
    Devils defenseman Kyle Quincey couldn’t resist a little dig at his old Red Wings teammates as he arrived in town for the first time with New Jersey.

“I don’t care what they’re saying over there, those guys are feeling the pressure of that (25-season playoff) streak,” Quincey said.

Detroit center Dylan Larkin insisted that wasn’t the case at all.

“Obviously it’s meaningful to the people around the building and around the city but we’ve only played 50 games,” Larkin said. “At the end of the season you play 82. That’s a lot. 

“You don’t want to see your season cut short and not make the playoffs once you went through 82 games and all that hard work you’ve put in. We get pretty caught up in that but I think the guys we have in this room, there’s a lot of pride. We all know that we’re a team that can be in the playoffs. 

“We just have to have a sense of urgency and get the job done.”

Miller Down
    Larkin was activated from the injured reserve list after a two-game absence due to an upper body injury.

To make room for him, the Wings assigned forward Drew Miller to AHL Grand Rapids.

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:24 pm