Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Many Topics Including The Oldest Dinar Community. Copyright © 2006-2020

Toronto Maple Leafs management preaches patience as players fall short of Mike Babcock’s point stand

jedi17
    jedi17

Toronto Maple Leafs management preaches patience as players fall short of Mike Babcock’s point stand Empty Toronto Maple Leafs management preaches patience as players fall short of Mike Babcock’s point stand

Post by jedi17 Thu 08 Dec 2016, 7:47 pm

Toronto Maple Leafs management preaches patience as players fall short of Mike Babcock’s point standards

As his youthful team progresses, Maple Leafs general manager Lou Lamoriello knows the importance of patience quite well.
    But he doesn’t find it overly enjoyable.
    “I think you know we are all impatient people here, but you have to have patience with this process,” Lamoriello said during an interview with Postmedia on Thursday.
    “Sometimes you have to fail a little to succeed, but (overall), it’s encouraging.”

Minnesota Wild right winger Chris Stewart (left) celebrates his goal as Toronto Maple Leafs defenceman Matt Hunwick skates by on Dec. 7.
    The Leafs, who will return to practice on Friday in preparation for a road game the following night against the Boston Bruins, found themselves tied with the New York Islanders for last place in the Eastern Conference prior to games on Thursday night.

Coach Mike Babcock’s wish that the Leafs attain at least six points in every five-game segment has been realized once in 2016-17, when they went 3-2 in games 11-15. It’s becoming apparent that a playoff spot is becoming closer to a pipe dream, as the Leafs are eight points out.
    There would be hand-wringing by Lamoriello and his staff if the Leafs were getting blown out on a consistent basis, but that’s not happening. Of their 15 losses (including five beyond regulation), the Leafs have been beaten by just one goal in 10.

Most recently, they outplayed the Minnesota Wild on Wednesday night in a 3-2 loss, but were stymied time and again by Wild goalie Devan Dubnyk, something many Wild opponents have experienced this season.
    There are going to be defensive issues on a team that has as many young players on the learning curve as the Leafs. Those issues are compounded by the reality the Leafs require upgrades in the defence corps.
    “I think we have to make improvements everywhere,” Lamoriello said. “We’re going through a learning process with our forwards and when your forwards are young and there are mistakes … you go to the defence, and it’s a little inexperienced. Then the goalie pays the price. We certainly have to get better there. But it’s not from (lack of) effort.”
    Not only does Lamoriello like what comes to mind when he considers the contributions that Auston Matthews and Mitch Marner have made as rookies, the same can be said of veterans such as Nazem Kadri, Tyler Bozak and James van Riemsdyk, among others. The notion, one that had roots outside the organization, that the vets might be overshadowed by the kids hasn’t held true.

“(Kadri) has embraced who he is — he is comfortable in his own skin,” Lamoriello said. “He has taken pride in what he is doing, and he is accountable. To see Bozak do what he is doing, JVR, (Leo) Komarov — (and) I’m really pleased with what (Matt) Martin has brought.”
    Ramo given time to settle in with Marlies
    Lou Lamoriello won’t rush to judgment on Karri Ramo.
    The 30-year-old goaltender is expected to get a second start for the Toronto Marlies in the coming days, after making 33 saves in his debut on Wednesday night during a 3-2 loss in Utica.
    “The thought process (with Ramo) is basically day by day, game by game,” Lamoriello said. “He will probably play one game this weekend and we’ll see where he is at.
    “This is an open-end situation. When time is on your side, you use it.”
    The Marlies’ trip continues with games in Providence on Friday and in Hartford on Saturday.
    If all goes well for Ramo — signed by the Marlies to a professional tryout on Tuesday — the expectation is that he will be signed by the Leafs to back up Frederik Andersen.
    At the same time, Lamoriello is curious to see whether Jhonas Enroth, sent to the Marlies on Tuesday, can regain some confidence with the American Hockey League affiliate.
    Terry Koshan
    Matthews and Marner have 19 points each, tied for second in team scoring behind van Riemsdyk, who has 20. Observers might have expected the production from Matthews, but perhaps not so much from Marner, at least not when camp ended early in October.
    “I don’t think it is a real big surprise because of what he has accomplished over the last year,” Lamoriello said of Marner. “Just the way he handled himself in the Memorial Cup last year, being a target and it didn’t faze him. I don’t know if it’s a surprise, but it’s a pleasant result, let’s put it that way.
    “There are nights he is not where he should be — but it’s not because he is not trying, it’s not because he is not committed.
    “Auston went through that drought (of 13 games without a goal), he kept working on every part of his game, and things started to go for him.”
    The knowledge that the Leafs remain in the initial stages of turning a corner before they have a shot at consistent success isn’t lost on Lamoriello. Like Babcock, though, he wants more victories.
    “We certainly would like to have better results, would like to win some games that maybe we feel we should have, but we’re not satisfied by any means,” Lamoriello said.

“When I say we are pleased, don’t interpret it as satisfied. We have a ways to go, but the foundation is coming and getting stronger.”

Current date/time is Tue 19 Mar 2024, 3:07 am