Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Many Topics Including The Oldest Dinar Community. Copyright © 2006-2020

Stanley Cup predictions

jedi17
    jedi17

Stanley Cup predictions Empty Stanley Cup predictions

Post by jedi17 Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:34 pm

Stanley Cup predictions
    April 11, 2017, 10:38 AM ET [53 Comments]
    HockeyBuzz Hotstove
    RSS • Archive • CONTACT
    Follow me on Twitter @ToddCordell

In this edition of the hotstove, we share our Stanley Cup picks and explain the logic behind them.

Todd Cordell

Washington over Anaheim.

I don't think I need to spend too much time explaining my Caps pick. They can score with the best of teams, they have four defensemen I'd be comfortable giving top pairing minutes and Braden Holtby is excellent. There really isn't a glaring weakness on this team.

As for the Ducks, they're 1st in 5v5 scoring chances per 60 and 1st in 5v5 goals allowed over the last 25 games. They're playing their best hockey at the right time and I think they have what it takes to go deep.

My sleeper choices in each conference are Boston and Nashville. I think they are a lot better than many give them credit for and expect that to shine through in the coming weeks.

John Jaeckel

Washington over Chicago.

Easy picks because they are the top seeds and odds-on favorites in their respective conferences. But, while upsets can and will happen, they have also been consistently the best teams in their conferences.

All that said, Washington has been the consistently better team. And I personally don't buy the "Trotz/Caps can't win in the playoffs" mantra. Truisms like those are right until they're no longer right. And on paper, and through 82 regular season games, this appears to be the year they are put to rest for the Caps.

The Caps are talented, big, fast, and deep. With an underrated defense and an elite goalie.

The Hawks are really good and they have all that playoff experience psychology, but the last couple of years they have been, by some metrics at least, underwater in possession and arguably a better 3-on-3 team than 5-on-5. The playoffs tend to reveal those kinds of underlying weaknesses—at some point.

Peter Tessier

Coming out of the West will be the perennial favourites the Chicago Blackhawks. Honed by three cup wins in the last 7 seasons the Blackhawks bring a healthy experienced roster with the best coach in the NHL to the ring. With Patrick Kane bringing his best game so far this season the Blackhawks have again reloaded and retooled ready to take on all comers.

In the East corner, it's the Captials. Long looked at as the great Russian hope, they are finally in a position where their defence and offence match up perfectly. It won't be easy but if the Blue Jackets can out a physical series on the Penguins it should be relatively smooth sailing for the Caps.

When in the final though, all bets are off and I'm giving experience way more weight than hope. Blackhawks in 6 games for their 4th cup.

James Tanner

I think this is a year when some of the better teams from the past few years aren't as good - except Washington. We've had mostly favorites in the Final for a decade, but I think 2017 will be a lot like 2006 and 2007. Therefore I expect a few upsets and surprises. I think Calgary is going to come out of the west and Toronto out of the East.

Current date/time is Mon May 13, 2024 5:35 am