Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Many Topics Including The Oldest Dinar Community. Copyright © 2006-2020

Toronto Maple Leafs

jedi17
    jedi17

Toronto Maple Leafs Empty Toronto Maple Leafs

Post by jedi17 Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:40 pm

2 for 1 Special: Back to Back
    February 13, 2017, 2:45 PM ET [106 Comments]
    Lucas Neilson
    Toronto Maple Leafs Tor Toronto Maple Leafs Blogger • RSS • Archive • CONTACT
    With the Eastern Conference being as tight as it is, the Leafs are going to have to elevate their game as they have two back to back games this week. That itself is a rarity, but the matchups are key as each team they face this week is in the Eastern Conference and all battling for a playoff spot of some sort.  

With an excellent week the Leafs could be sitting at the round table, safely in one of the top three slots of the Atlantic Division. With a dreadful week Toronto could be right out of the playoff picture, chasing that final wildcard spot.

It really is that close in the Eastern Conference.

Game one of this week will be versus and Islanders team that has gone 6-2-2 in their last ten games. They are sitting a mere point behind the Maple Leafs with the same number of games played.  

Game two of the week is against Columbus who is in the hunt for a top three spot in the Eastern Conference and are 5-4-1 in their last ten games. Not exactly an easy game after what looks to be a hard fought game against the Islanders the night before.

After a couple nights off the Leafs will entertain the Senators at home and depending on how the Senators make out against the Sabres and Devils this week, Saturday night’s Hockey Night in Canada game could be a battle for second place in the Atlantic. The Senators are 5-3-2 in their last ten but have won their last two games.

Quite the string of games this week as the final game will be against a well-rested Carolina Hurricanes team who has struggled as of late, but again, one quality week and the Canes could be in reach of the final wildcard spot.  

The Maple Leafs are going to have to stand strong on the defensive end but at the same time continue to score a number of goals to help support their play in the third periods of most games. Until they are able to close out games with more confidence the Leafs have to continue to play hard on the fore check and take fewer chances, resulting in less turn overs. If the Buds can keep the puck in deep and chip in with more grinder goals and less chances being taken at the oppositions blue line as they enter the zone, they should have an easier time closing out the third periods when holding a lead. It’s important that they improve in this facet of the game, especially as each point becomes more and more valuable as the season winds down.

As we all know, the Leafs have given up a number of points in the dying minutes of third periods throughout the season and could easily be sitting in a much more favorable position.  

With the age of most players and vast number of rookies joining it’s to be expected. The goaltending has been great overall and Andersen can’t be blamed for his performance on most nights. It’s been exciting since puck drop of game one and Shanahan and his management team have had a lot of time to assess the young Maple Leafs roster so they can prepare for the next step.

I wouldn’t be the least bit surprised to see Lamoriello be a seller before the trade deadline. Who knows what General Manager comes knocking on the door and what deals brought to the table. If the management team thinks the deal will be good for the Maple Leafs of the future I would hope they jump on it. 

It would be shocking to see any of the young studs traded, but if a fitting deal came for Bozak, JVR, Polak or a package deal for a high end improvement I would be behind their decision. I’m not thrilled about trading JVR, but if the right deal came along I would hope the management team would take the time to discuss and decide whether it’s the right time or not. Us fans have been hungry for an improvement on the back end, but we may have to wait until seasons end before our wish is granted.

Enjoy the four games this week, 

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:18 am