Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Many Topics Including The Oldest Dinar Community. Copyright © 2006-2020

China’s Working-Age Population Sees Biggest-Ever Decline

Lobo
    Lobo

China’s Working-Age Population Sees Biggest-Ever Decline  Empty China’s Working-Age Population Sees Biggest-Ever Decline

Post by Lobo Mon 25 Jan 2016, 2:39 pm

China’s Working-Age Population Sees Biggest-Ever Decline

China’s working age population saw its biggest decline in 2015, underscoring demographers’ warnings of an oncoming labor shortage in the country.

The number of workers aged 16 to 59 dropped by a record 4.87 million to 911 million last year, compared to decline of 3.71 million in 2014, according to China’s National Bureau of Statistics.

The trend coincides with China’s slowing economic growth, mirroring Japan’s experience in the 1990s. The decline has sparked concern that China may be poised to repeat its neighbor’s history of economic struggles and that China may grow older before it grows richer.

It also coincides with a decline in China’s migrant workers. People who typically leave their hometowns to seek employment in other cities decreased last year for the first time in 30 years. The migrant population declined by 5.68 million to 247 million people at the end of 2015, according to the NBS.

A shrinking labor pool can help prevent a high joblessness rate. But it is also driving up labor costs and is chipping away at a competitive advantage that has boosted China’s manufacturing and export sectors for decades.

Demographers have long sounded the alarm that China may pay the price for strict population controls, cautioning that the one-child policy era would weigh on growth prospects.

As workers become scarcer, they also become more demanding, pushing for higher wages and more benefits.  Labor protests climbed in December to a record-high of 422 incidents, according to Hong Kong advocacy group China Labour Bulletin. The group counted 2,774 labor incidents, many of which were tied to wage disputes, on the mainland last year—double the 2014 figure.
    http://blogs.wsj.com/chinarealtime/2016/01/22/chinas-working-age-population-sees-biggest-ever-decline/

Current date/time is Sat 27 Apr 2024, 8:10 pm