Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Many Topics Including The Oldest Dinar Community. Copyright © 2006-2020

What’s happening with the diplomats and contractors in Iraq?

chouchou
    chouchou

What’s happening with the diplomats and contractors in Iraq? Empty What’s happening with the diplomats and contractors in Iraq?

Post by chouchou Fri 13 Jun 2014, 12:38 pm

U.S. diplomatic offices in Iraq were operating as usual as of Thursday, but American contractors began evacuating their employees from the Baghdad region as insurgent fighters threatened to advance on the capital after capturing key cities in the North.

The State Department [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] that American contractors are “being temporarily relocated by their companies due to security concerns in the area.” But spokeswoman Jen Psaki said that “the status of the staffing at the U.S. Embassy and consulates has not changed.”

The U.S. has kept its diplomatic mission in Iraq open for the past few years despite growing violence and increasing signs that the government cannot control the unrest.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] from the State Department’s inspector general said the diplomatic mission there is a test bed for “a new approach to U.S. overseas presence, often called expeditionary diplomacy,” which requires “an unprecedented level of security and life support.”

U.S. personnel in Iraq largely consist of diplomats and embassy staff, as well as private security personnel and military advisers to the Iraqi government, according to an [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.].

The State Department said in January that it had about 5,500 contractors, including 2,000 U.S. citizens, working at the Embassy in Baghdad, according to a [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.].

Roughly 200 U.S. Marines and private security contractors guard the embassy, according to a [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.].

Pentagon officials have said that about 250 U.S. troops remain in Iraq, with about half of them being Marine Corps security guards for the embassy. Many of the others are there to advise the Iraqi military.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Current date/time is Sun 28 Apr 2024, 1:51 pm