Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Many Topics Including The Oldest Dinar Community. Copyright © 2006-2020

The United Nations rejects a Saudi-backed panel investigating Yemen's abuses

Rocky
    Rocky
    Admin Assist
    Admin Assist

The United Nations rejects a Saudi-backed panel investigating Yemen's abuses Empty The United Nations rejects a Saudi-backed panel investigating Yemen's abuses

Post by Rocky Wed 06 Sep 2017, 3:03 am

The United Nations rejects a Saudi-backed panel investigating Yemen's abuses

The UN High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) said on Tuesday that the international organization should take responsibility for investigating human rights abuses in the war in Yemen, as the country's government is not eligible to do so.

In a report published today, the Office of the High Commissioner called on the UN Human Rights Council, which is due to meet this month, to agree to investigate atrocities committed during what it called a "completely man-made disaster," Reuters reported.

The 47-member council has been reluctant to carry out the task for two years, leaving it to the national commission to investigate allegations of human rights abuses in Yemen, which report to President Abd Rabbo Mansour Hadi, backed by the Saudi-led coalition.

"I would like to join you in asking why the members of the Human Rights Council have not taken their responsibility and their membership in this body seriously," Mohamed Ali El Nsour, head of the Middle East and North Africa division of the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights, told a news conference.

"This is the third time that the Council is called upon to start the investigation," he said. "This would actually put pressure on the parties to the conflict to uphold the rules and obligations in accordance with humanitarian law.

According to the UN report, the national commission to investigate allegations of human rights violations in Yemen has been adversely affected by "political constraints. The report emphasized that the remarkable bias of the National Commission and its limited access to places prevented it from fully implementing its mandate and, moreover, appeared to lack any instrument or mandate to turn its findings into a credible accountability mechanism.

Yemen has witnessed a war in which more than 10,000 people have been killed in the last two and a half years, according to UN data. The spread of hunger, internal displacement and an unprecedented outbreak of cholera have helped relief organizations describe the situation as one of the worst humanitarian disasters in the world.

http://www.aljournal.com/%D8%A7%D9%84%D8%A3%D9%85%D9%85-%D8%A7%D9%84%D9%85%D8%AA%D8%AD%D8%AF%D8%A9-%D8%AA%D8%B1%D9%81%D8%B6-%D9%82%D9%8A%D8%A7%D9%85-%D9%84%D8%AC%D9%86%D8%A9-%D8%AA%D8%AF%D8%B9%D9%85%D9%87%D8%A7-%D8%A7%D9%84/

Current date/time is Sat 27 Apr 2024, 11:32 am