Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Many Topics Including The Oldest Dinar Community. Copyright © 2006-2020

Syrian Kurds to participate in Raqqa offensive, U.S. commander says

Rocky
    Rocky
    Admin Assist
    Admin Assist

Syrian Kurds to participate in Raqqa offensive, U.S. commander says Empty Syrian Kurds to participate in Raqqa offensive, U.S. commander says

Post by Rocky Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:55 am

Syrian Kurds to participate in Raqqa offensive, U.S. commander says
    Posted on March 2, 2017 by Editorial Staff in 1 Top NewsKurdistan
    Syrian Kurds to participate in Raqqa offensive, U.S. commander says US-Lt-General-Joseph-Anderson-May-2015-photo-courtey-Fort-Bragg-flickr-US-army
    U.S. Army Lieutenant General Stephen Townsend. Photo: Fort Bragg/Flickr/US Army

WASHINGTON,— Some Kurdish fighters will participate in the offensive to seize the Syrian city of Raqqa from Islamic State because there are some Kurds in the predominantly Arab city, the top U.S. commander in Iraq said on Thursday.
    “There are going to be Kurds assaulting Raqqa for sure. The number, the size of them, and how many Kurdish units are participating in that, I can’t really say right now,” said Army Lieutenant General Stephen Townsend, who is leading the coalition campaign against the militant group.
    “The facts are there are Kurds from Raqqah, and larger Raqqah district and province,” he said.

“I don’t think we’re going to change the demographics of Raqqah by Kurds or Turkomen or any group participating in the operation. But I expect that probably all types of Syrians in northern Syria will participate in the liberation of Raqqah,” he added.
    U.S. regards the Kurdish Democratic Union Party PYD and its powerful military wing YPG of Syrian Kurdistan as key ally against Islamic State and the most effective fighting force against IS in Syria and has provided them with arms, air support as well as the military advisers. The Kurdish militia has seized swathes of Syria from IS.
    Earlier in the day, Turkish media reported that Ankara could forbid Washington from using its Incirlik airbase if the United States cooperates with the Kurdish forces, such as the Syrian Kurdish Democratic Union Party (PYD) and its military wing of the Popular Defense Units (YPG), during operations against IS [Daesh] in the area of Raqqa.
    “We are engaged in discussions with Turks on how they might participate in the liberation of Raqqa, and I don’t know what the numbers of their participation might be,” Townsend said.
    Turkish President Recep ­Tayyip Erdogan said this week that Turkish forces would participate in the offensive but that any involvement by the Kurdish YPG, was unacceptable. Turkey considers the YPG, which has been in the forefront of U.S.-backed ground operations in Syria, to be a terrorist organization in league with its own separatist Kurds.
    The city of Raqqa, which is the “capital” of the so-called caliphate proclaimed by IS, is a target for numerous groups fighting against extremists in Syria. Turkey and the Kurdish troops have voiced their plans to liberate the IS-occupied city.
    On February 16, Syrian National Council Co-chair Ilham Ahmed said in an interview with Firat News Agency that the safe zones proposed by the Trump administration would be created in areas under control of the Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) and the Kurdish People’s Protection Units (YPG).
    Turkish chief presidential adviser Ilnur Cevik told Sputnik on Tuesday that Ankara would be against the creation of safe zones in Kurdish areas in Syria because they might be used by Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK), considered a terrorist organization in Turkey.
    Syrian Kurdistan’s ruling PYD has established three autonomous zones, or Cantons of Jazeera, Kobani and Afrin and a Kurdish government across Syrian Kurdistan in 2013. On March 17, 2016 Syria’s Kurds declared a federal region in Syrian Kurdistan. On Dec. 30, 2016 Syrian Kurds approved a blueprint for a system of federal government in Syrian Kurdistan, reaffirming their plans for autonomy in areas they have controlled during the civil war.

http://ekurd.net/syrian-kurds-participate-raqqa-2017-03-02

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:24 am