Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Many Topics Including The Oldest Dinar Community. Copyright © 2006-2020

Toronto Maple Leafs

jedi17
    jedi17

Toronto Maple Leafs  Empty Toronto Maple Leafs

Post by jedi17 Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:44 pm

Young Leafs having a difficult time closing the deal
    April 7, 2017, 6:06 PM ET [30 Comments]
    Mike Augello
    Toronto Maple Leafs Blogger • RSS • Archive • CONTACT
    For the latest Leafs updates or on Twitter

The Toronto Maple Leafs had an excuse for their loss to Washington on Tuesday, playing the second back-to-back games and backup Curtis McElhinney in goal, but fatigue and goaltending were not the problem in the 4-1 loss to the Tampa Bay Lightning on Thursday.

Toronto was outworked by a more experienced and desperate Lightning squad and was tentative throughout the game that would have clinched a playoff spot for the first time since 2013.

Tampa had the young Leafs squad on their heels and stepped up their physical play against rookie Auston Matthews, who was stunned momentarily by a low hit from defenseman Jake Dotchin in the first period.

Other than Nazem Kadri’s quick reply to Brayden Point’s opening goal, Toronto had no answers for the Lightning. Nikita Kucherov responded midway through the middle frame with his 39th of the year to put the visitors ahead for good and Michael Bournival and Point tallied in the third to put the game out of reach.

“We made it harder than it should be, we didn't play like we normally do and I thought we were slow. I don't know if we were tight or – well, we were, but we weren't in sync and they won all of the battles and all of the races.” Leafs coach Mike Babcock said following the loss. “You go over and over a foundation of how to play so in the big moments you do what you do. We didn't do that. That's part of the experience of our group. So, you've got to go back to the drawing board, get re-energized and get ready to play our next opponent.”

The night provided the absolutely worst results for Toronto in terms of locking up a post-season berth and avoiding the President Trophy winning Washington Capitals in the first round, as Boston and Ottawa resulted in a three-point game and the New York Islanders stayed alive and moved to within three points of the Leafs with a 3-0 shutout of the Carolina Hurricanes.

Entering the final weekend, Toronto needs to win one of their final two home games against the Pittsburgh Penguins and Columbus Blue Jackets to lock up a playoff spot and could face watered down lineups since the Pens clinched second place in the Metropolitan Division on Thursday.

Tampa (who face Montreal on Friday and Buffalo at Amalie Arena on Sunday) and the Islanders (who play at New Jersey on Saturday and Ottawa at home on Sunday) have to win both games and home that Toronto loses their final two.

The Senators have 96 points and can clinch home ice advantage in the first round with a win in either of their last two games (NY Rangers at home on Saturday and NY Islanders in Brooklyn on Sunday) to finish out the regular season.

Boston moved to 95 points with the shootout loss to Ottawa and finish at home against the Capitals on Saturday afternoon.

Avoiding the Capitals seemed to be an achievable goal after winning in Buffalo earlier this week, but with two regulation losses the Leafs need Ottawa to get no more than one point in their final two games, which is possible since Sens GM Pierre Dorion indicated on Friday that defenseman Erik Karlsson will sit out the weekend.

Boston can avoid the second wildcard with a win over Washington, since they will have more ROW(regulation/overtime wins) than both Ottawa or Toronto. If Boston loses in OT or a shootout, the Leafs can finish third with two wins over Pittsburgh and Columbus.

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:46 am