Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Many Topics Including The Oldest Dinar Community. Copyright © 2006-2020

An Iraqi-Turkish meeting in Ankara regarding water releases

Rocky
    Rocky
    Admin Assist
    Admin Assist

An Iraqi-Turkish meeting in Ankara regarding water releases Empty An Iraqi-Turkish meeting in Ankara regarding water releases

Post by Rocky Fri 11 Jun 2021, 6:33 am

[size=35][size=35]An Iraqi-Turkish meeting in Ankara regarding water releases[/size]
    [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Policy

2021-06-11 | 07:06
    [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

[/size]

Today, Friday, the Ministry of Water Resources announced that a technical delegation will visit Ankara in the coming days to discuss with the Turkish government about Iraq's share of water releases.

According to a ministry statement received by Alsumaria News, the Minister of Resources, Mahdi Rashid Al-Hamdani, said that "a technical meeting will be held with the Turkish side in Ankara on the 21st of this month to discuss water releases on the Tigris and Euphrates rivers and activate protocols for cooperation in the field of water."

There is no water agreement between Iraq and Turkey, but there are protocols signed between the two sides over the past decades related to the shares of water transiting into Iraqi territory.

The first protocol was signed in 1920, and its parties were Iraq, Turkey and Syria. It stipulated conditions for establishing dams or diverting the course of the two rivers, provided that this would not cause harm to the other signatory parties.

In 1946, Iraq and Turkey included the water issue in the "Treaty of Friendship and Good Neighborliness" signed by the two countries.

In 1978, they signed the Economic and Technical Cooperation Protocol after Turkey completed the Kiban Dam on the Euphrates River, which harmed the Iraqi water interests.

However, Turkey has continued to build dams and reduce Iraq's share of water, which has led it to a severe shortage since the 1990s.

Current date/time is Sat 27 Apr 2024, 9:16 am