Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Many Topics Including The Oldest Dinar Community. Copyright © 2006-2020

New York Islanders

jedi17
    jedi17

New York Islanders Empty New York Islanders

Post by jedi17 Thu May 04, 2017 5:26 pm

Isles 16/17 Report Cards - Thomas Hickey
    May 4, 2017, 3:18 PM ET [23 Comments]
    Noel Fogelman
    New York Islanders Blogger • RSS • Archive • CONTACT
    Follow me on Twitter @thefirstnoel19

Thomas Hickey proved me wrong following the 2015-16 season. I'm a big enough man to admit it. I thought that general manager Garth Snow should not qualify the defenseman and let him become a free agent following 2014-15. Instead, Snow signed the defenseman, which he claimed off of waivers from the Los Angeles Kings back in January 2013 to a three-year deal.
    Hickey had a strong 2015-16 season in which he set a career-high in goals and played a strong defensive game.

I don't want to tell Snow I told ya so but, I told ya so. Hickey had an awful 2016-17 season. His defensive mistakes and turnovers led to plenty of goals. His plus/minus went from +9 the previous season to -1 this season. His poor play led to head coach Doug Weight scratching him a couple of times towards the end of the season.

What Hickey brought to team the previous year is what he lacked this season, playing bigger than his 6'0, 189-pound body. He got pushed around way too much which led to him taking bad penalties at key times.

Hickey did remain consistent on one front, scoring game-winning goasl. His overtime winner in Nashville, in which he played most of the game as a winger kept the Isles playoff chances alive. In fact, six of his 17 career goals have been game winners. That's not counting the "Brock" overtime winner against the Florida Panthers in Game 3 of the 2016 playoffs.

The defenseman will almost certainly be left unprotected in the upcoming expansion draft. Hickey will be a prime choice to be selected by Las Vegas for a couple of reasons, his one year remaining on his contract and leadership. The Golden Knights could flip him at the trade deadline for a draft pick. If he remains with the Islanders, he has to regain his 2015-16 form or else young defensemen like Adam Pelech, Ryan Pulock and Devon Toews will pass him.

2016-17 grade: D+

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:28 pm