Be the first to Write a Review
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
For perfect risotto, keep these tips in mind: add the hot stock a ladleful at a time, stirring frequently after each addition, and wait until the stock is almost fully absorbed before adding more. Serve this risotto alongside our Sicilian Steak.
- Printer Friendly Version
- 4 to 5 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1/8 tsp. crumbled saffron
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, cut into small dice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cups Arborio or Carnaroli rice
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 4 Tbs. (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- 1 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, plus more for serving
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 Tbs. chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Sicilian Steak >
Wine PairingThis pairs well with rich, medium-bodied white wines like the John Duval Plexus Blanc Barossa Valley from our Wine Club.
Directions:In a saucepan over medium heat, bring the stock to a simmer and add the saffron. Reduce the heat to low and keep the stock warm.
In a chef’s oven or large saucepan over medium-high heat, warm the olive oil. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 4 to 5 minutes. Add the rice and stir until each grain is well coated with oil and translucent with a white dot in the center, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the wine and stir until it is completely absorbed, about 2 minutes.
Begin adding the stock 1 cup at a time, stirring frequently after each addition. Wait until the stock is almost completely absorbed before adding more.
When the rice is tender but firm to the bite, after 20 to 25 minutes, stir in the butter and the 1 cup cheese. Add more stock if needed so the rice is thick and creamy. Season with salt and pepper and sprinkle with the parsley. Serve immediately and pass additional cheese at the table. Serves 4.