Roasted Heirloom Tomatoes with Garlic and Thyme
Be the first to Write a Review
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Servings: 6 to 8
As good as heirloom tomatoes are fresh off the vine, roasting them concentrates their flavor and brings out their subtle sweetness. For the most dramatic presentation, use tomatoes in a variety of colors.
- 2 1/2 to 3 lb. (1.25 to 1.5 kg) assorted heirloom tomatoes
- 2 shallots, each quartered lengthwise
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup (2 fl. oz./60 ml) olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 tsp. chopped fresh thyme, plus 3 sprigs fresh thyme
Directions:Preheat an oven to 450°F (230°C).
In a large baking dish, arrange the tomatoes, shallots and garlic in a single layer. Drizzle the vegetables evenly with the olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with the chopped thyme and nestle the thyme sprigs around the tomatoes.
Roast the tomatoes until they are softened but still hold their shape, 15 to 20 minutes, stirring once halfway through the cooking time. Serve warm or at room temperature. Serves 6 to 8.
Williams-Sonoma Test Kitchen