Beef Skewers with Onion Ragu
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Grilling adds a smoky, charred flavor to lean meat without requiring much additional fat. Best of all, it can be done both outdoors and indoors, as it is here, using a stove-top grill pan. In this dish, caramelized onions add a complex sweet and savory flavor to the simply prepared beef.
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 2 yellow onions, halved and cut into slices 1/4 inch (6 mm) thick
- 2 red onions, halved and cut into slices 1/4 inch (6 mm) thick
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- 1 tsp. minced fresh thyme
- 1 lb. (500 g) flank steak, sliced into strips 1 1/2 inches (4 cm) wide
- Chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley for garnish
Directions:In a large sauté pan over medium heat, warm the olive oil. Add the yellow and red onions and a large pinch of salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are caramelized, about 25 minutes. If the pan gets dry or the onions start to get too brown, stir in 2 Tbs. water.
Once the onions are caramelized, add the garlic and thyme and cook for 1 minute more. Season to taste with salt and pepper and set aside.
Heat a stove-top grill pan over high heat. Season the steak lightly with salt and pepper. Thread each steak strip onto a skewer.
Grill the steak in the pan, turning the skewers once, until cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes per side. To serve, arrange the skewers on the onion ragu and garnish with parsley. Serves 4.
Williams-Sonoma Test Kitchen