Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Many Topics Including The Oldest Dinar Community. Copyright © 2006-2020

Calgary Flames

jedi17
    jedi17

Calgary Flames  Empty Calgary Flames

Post by jedi17 Fri 31 Mar 2017, 6:27 pm

G78 Calgary Flames vs San Jose Sharks: Keep climbing
    March 31, 2017, 10:21 AM ET [30 Comments]
    Todd Cordell
    Calgary Flames Blogger • RSS • Archive • CONTACT
    Follow me on Twitter @ToddCordell

At this point in the season getting a top-2 spot in the Pacific Division and earning home ice is unlikely at best -- Calgary is five points back of Edmonton with five games remaining -- but the No. 3 seed is still very much in play.

It just so happens the Flames host the team they're chasing tonight in the San Jose Sharks.

The Flames currently sit three points back of the San Jose with both sides having five games remaining. The Sharks are in the midst of a free-fall down the standings, though.

They have lost seven of eight, their goaltending hasn't been good, they just lost Logan Couture to injury and tonight they're playing in the latter half of a back-to-back. If there was ever a time you'd want to play the Sharks, it's right now.

I'm expecting a much better effort from the Flames this time around as they didn't really show up vs Los Angeles. If that's the case, the Flames should be able to take advantage of a vulnerable Sharks team and get within striking distance of the No. 3 spot in the Pacific.

Call me crazy, but I'd rather play Edmonton than Anaheim or Chicago, both of whom have points in nine of 10 and own fantastic records on home soil. Two points tonight would go a long way towards seeing a Battle of Alberta in the opening round.

Here are the expected line combinations for the Flames:

Matthew Tkachuk - Mikael Backlund - Michael Frolik
    Johnny Gaudreau - Sean Monahan - Micheal Ferland
    Kris Versteeg - Matt Stajan - Troy Brouwer
    Lance Bouma - Sam Bennett - Alex Chiasson

Mark Giordano - Dougie Hamilton
    T.J. Brodie - Michael Stone
    Matt Bartkowski - Deryk Engelland

Brian Elliott

And the expected lines for the Sharks (via dailyfaceoff.com):

Jannik Hansen - Joe Thornton - Joe Pavelski
    Mikkel Boedker - Patrick Marleau - Melker Karlsson
    Marcus Sorensen - Tomas Hertl - Joel Ward
    Joonas Donskoi - Chris Tierney - Timo Meier

Paul Martin - Brent Burns
    Marc-Edouard Vlasic - Justin Braun
    Brendan Dillon - David Schlemko

Martin Jones

A few notes:

1) Over the last 10 games, Brent Burns is 2nd in the NHL with 53 shot attempts at 5v5. Only Alex Ovechkin (54) has more in that frame.

2) The Sharks have allowed 23 goals over the last five games and 20+ 5v5 scoring chances in eight consecutive games. They're not playing great defense right now, and both goaltenders are struggling, so the Flames should be able to get back on track offensively.

3) San Jose has allowed the 4th most scoring chances per 60 minutes while up a man while the Backlund-Frolik duo, in particular, has proven to be very dangerous on the PK. I wonder if that's something the Flames can exploit.

Tonight's game is scheduled for 9:00 eastern and can be seen on SNW and CSN-CA.

Current date/time is Wed 29 May 2024, 4:07 pm