Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Many Topics Including The Oldest Dinar Community. Copyright © 2006-2020

Calgary Flames

jedi17
    jedi17

Calgary Flames Empty Calgary Flames

Post by jedi17 Wed 05 Apr 2017, 8:25 pm

On likely playoff matchups, Backlund, Jankowski and more
    April 5, 2017, 12:36 PM ET [64 Comments]
    Todd Cordell
    Calgary Flames Blogger • RSS • Archive • CONTACT
    Follow me on Twitter @ToddCordell

1) After consecutive regulation losses to the Anaheim Ducks, Calgary is almost certain to get either Chicago or Anaheim in the first round. They can finish no higher than the top wild card spot and the Ducks are four points clear of Edmonton (although they've played one more game) so it seems unlikely the Oilers could unseat the Ducks for top spot in the division.

That means the Flames' 1st round opponent will either be a 50+ win team or one that is 8-0-3 in the last 11 games and firing on all cylinders. I don't think the Flames will get rolled over by anyone but those aren't exactly ideal options.

2) Last night Mikael Backlund set a new career high in goals (22) and continues to add to his career high in points (52). Serious question: how many non-entry-level contracts are better than Backlund's? He has been a consistent offensive producer and one of the best defensive forwards in the NHL. That's worth a lot more than $3.575 million per.

3) Can we please get Rasmus Andersson some game action? He was called up weeks ago and has still not gotten a second of playing time. I get wanting to ease him in, get used to the systems in practice, etc. but he needs to play at some point and it's not as if the team's other depth options (I'm looking at you, Matt Bartkowski) are playing well and irreplaceable pieces in the lineup. I'd really like to see Andersson get in a game before the end of the regular season. If Bartkowski (instigator penalty) or Mark Giordano (knee-on-knee) get suspended that may just happen.

4) Mark Jankowski was recently named AHL rookie of the month for his efforts in March. He had nine goals and 16 points in 13 games and is up to 51 points in 59 games, which is good for the team lead.

What's really encouraging about Jankowski is a lot of his production has come at 5v5. He is tied for 11th among AHL forwards in points (35). Of the 10 ahead of him, only one player is the same age (22) or younger. If we look at primary points, Jankowski is tied for 3rd among AHL forwards and the only two players ahead of him are 25 and 32.

Jankowski is having a real strong season and seems like a good bet to make meaningful contributions to the team next season. Heck, he could probably help now but I don't see the Flames giving him that opportunity.

Current date/time is Wed 08 May 2024, 3:39 pm