Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Many Topics Including The Oldest Dinar Community. Copyright © 2006-2020

Iraq Says It Can’t Halt Arms to Syria

Zuzu
    Zuzu
    Cain't Let Go Investor
    Cain't Let Go Investor

Iraq Says It Can’t Halt Arms to Syria Empty Iraq Says It Can’t Halt Arms to Syria

Post by Zuzu Sat 13 Jul 2013, 5:07 pm

Iraq Says It Can’t Halt Arms to Syria

By REUTERS

Published: July 13, 2013

RIYADH, Saudi Arabia — [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] is unable to stop its neighbor [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]from transferring weapons to [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] through its airspace, Iraq’s foreign minister said in a newspaper interview published Saturday.

Related

“We reject and condemn the transfer of weapons through our airspace, and we will inform the Iranian side of that formally,” Foreign Minister Hoshyar Zebari told the pan-Arab newspaper Asharq Al Awsat. “But we do not have the ability to stop it.”

Iran supports President Bashar al-Assad of Syria, who is fighting a mainly Sunni opposition in a civil war that has killed at least 93,000 people, according to the United Nations.

The United States, which wants Mr. Assad to give up power, has warned Iraq not to allow Iranian weapons flights to cross its airspace into Syria. But Mr. Zebari said he had told Western countries that if they wanted to stop such flights, they had to help do so themselves.

“If you imagine these flights breach United Nations Security Council resolutions banning weapons imports and exports from Iran,” he said, “I invite you in the name of the government to help us stop these flights across Iraqi airspace.”

He said random checks by Iraq on Iranian aircraft bound for Syria since September had found only nonlethal aid like medicines and food.

Iraq is dominated by Shiite Muslim parties with close ties to Iran, but Mr. Zebari said his country was committed to neutrality with respect to Syria.

Iraq does not provide any weapons or money to Syria, Mr. Zebari said, and, despite requests from Syria, does not sell it crude oil at preferential rates.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Current date/time is Sun 28 Apr 2024, 12:47 pm