• Repetition date: 2017/6/29
Prince Mohammed bin Nayef, who has lost his term in Saudi Arabia, has been confined to his palace in the port city of Jeddah and is barred from leaving the kingdom, The New York Times reported.
The newspaper quoted four current and former US officials close to the Saudi royal family as saying that the new restrictions imposed on the man, who until last week was one step away from the throne, To limit any possible opposition to the new Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman [31 years].
The officials spoke on condition of anonymity, so as not to endanger relations with the ruling family in Saudi Arabia, the New York Times reported.
It is not clear how long the restrictions on Prince Mohammed bin Nayef, 57, will remain, noting that a Saudi royal court adviser has referred her inquiries to the Ministry of Information, whose officials were not immediately available for comment on Wednesday.
On the other hand, denied a Saudi Foreign Ministry official, by telephone, on Wednesday night, the speech, saying that "is unfounded."
Restrictions on the daughters of Mohammed bin Nayef have also been imposed, according to the New York Times, of a former US official who maintains relations with the ruling family in Saudi Arabia.
One of Prince Nayef's married daughters told her husband and child could leave their home, while she had to stay at the palace, the official told the newspaper.
A Saudi official close to the royal family said the new restrictions were imposed almost immediately after Mohammed bin Salman took over the crown prince.
Following royal orders, Prince Mohammed bin Nayef returned to his palace in Jeddah to find that his trusted bodyguards had been replaced by other guards loyal to the new crown prince Mohammed bin Salman, the Saudi royal family member and former US official told the newspaper. That Ben Nayef was prevented from leaving the palace, ever since.
Another senior US official, in close contact with the royal family in Saudi Arabia, told the newspaper that bin Nayef was prevented from leaving the kingdom, but the official said he had not heard that the prince's moves were confined to his palace.
According to the New York Times, the restrictions on the elder prince indicate concerns that some members of the royal family have been upset by the change in recent royal orders and that the public appearance of Prince Mohammed bin Nayef may aggravate feelings and destination Consider this.
A senior US official told the newspaper that the restrictions on Prince Mohammed bin Nayef were "indicative that Prince Mohammed bin Salman does not want any opposition."
"Bin Salman does not want any work for the rear guard inside the family, he wants a straight promotion without any opposition - and Mohammed bin Nayef was not planning anything anyway."
The official pointed out that the US administration, in contact with the Saudi Interior Ministry, but that US officials have not made any official contact with Prince Mohammed bin Nayef, they closely monitor the situation in the Kingdom.
"Mohammed bin Nayef was a great friend and partner of the United States, and we do not want to deal with him in an unorganized or unsafe way," the senior US official concluded.