Mostly Not Potato Salad
Be the first to Write a Review
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
In this play on the traditional French potato salad, the potato takes the back seat while vegetables and tofu shine. Tangy vinaigrette, fresh dill and caramelized leeks pack a flavorful punch, and celery and cucumber lend crisp texture.
- 4 small red-skinned potatoes, quartered
- 6 oz. green beans, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 Tbs. whole-grain mustard
- 2 Tbs. red wine vinegar
- 2 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. natural cane sugar or agave nectar
- 1/4 tsp. fine-grain sea salt, plus more, to taste
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh dill
- 1 small leek, white and light green portions, halved lengthwise
and cut crosswise into 1/4-inch slices
- 6 celery stalks, trimmed and diced
- 1 Kirby cucumber, seeded and cut into small dice
- 6 oz. extra-firm tofu, cut into small cubes
- 1 Tbs. chopped fresh chives
Directions:Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Add the potatoes and cook until tender but still intact, about 10 minutes. During the last 30 seconds of cooking, add the green beans to the pot. Drain the potatoes and green beans and set aside.
Meanwhile, make the dressing: In a small bowl, whisk together the mustard, vinegar, 1 Tbs. of the olive oil, the sugar and the 1/4 tsp. salt. Adjust the seasoning as desired and set aside.
In a large fry pan over medium-high heat, warm the remaining 1 Tbs. olive oil. Add the dill and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the leek and cook, stirring occasionally, until the leek is golden and slightly crispy, 4 to 5 minutes. Season with salt.
In a large bowl, gently toss together the potatoes, green beans, celery, cucumber, tofu, chives and half of the leek mixture with about two-thirds of the dressing. Adjust the seasoning as desired. Transfer the potato mixture to a platter, and top with the remaining leek mixture and a drizzle of the remaining dressing. Serve chilled or at room temperature. Serve 4 to 6.
Adapted from Super Natural Every Day, by Heidi Swanson (Ten Speed Press, 2011).