Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Many Topics Including The Oldest Dinar Community. Copyright © 2006-2020

Report highlights Trump's vice president's shifts in Iraq war

Rocky
    Rocky
    Admin Assist
    Admin Assist

Report highlights Trump's vice president's shifts in Iraq war Empty Report highlights Trump's vice president's shifts in Iraq war

Post by Rocky Sat 27 Jul 2024, 4:36 am

Report highlights Trump's vice president's shifts in Iraq war

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

+A
    -A

Baghdad Today - Follow-up
    A report by the Wall Street Journal, on Friday, July 26, 2024, highlighted the transformations experienced by the Republican Party's candidate for vice president, Jay D. Vance, after serving in Iraq as a soldier in the US Marine Corps nearly two decades ago.
    Vance joined the Marines after graduating from high school just months after the U.S. invasion of Iraq in 2003, and two years later was deployed to the country as a "war correspondent," a job that involved writing briefings and taking photos for internal Marine Corps publications.
    Vance was based at Al Asad Air Base in the Anbar Desert in western Iraq, where he shadowed civilian journalists, spent time with Marines and wrote positive reports on the progress of the war.
    Among the places Vance, then 21, visited was the town of Al-Qaim along the Iraq-Syria border, where Marines fought a series of bloody battles to keep militants from pouring across the border.
    At the time, Vance intended to "go to the Middle East to kill terrorists," according to his 2016 best-selling memoir, Hillbilly Elegy.
    Vance describes his experience as a soldier in Iraq as the most memorable of his life, because it left him disillusioned with the use of American forces abroad and with the politicians who ordered the war.
    The newspaper quotes Vance as saying that using the military to fight terrorist groups and support democracies abroad “puts the burden on ordinary Americans, rather than the political elites who ordered the war.”
    “I left for Iraq in 2005, a young idealist committed to spreading democracy and liberalism to the world’s underdeveloped nations,” Vance wrote in a 2020 essay. “I returned in 2006, skeptical of the war and the ideology behind it.” 
    “Like thousands of young men at the time, Vance enlisted in the United States Marine Corps at the start of the Iraq War,” Vance spokesman William Martin said in a statement. 
    "He ultimately came to the same conclusion as millions of other Americans: that the war he served in was a terrible mistake," he added. 
    Marines and officers who served with Vance say he was interested in politics from the start, and noted that he had plans far beyond the Marines.
    After his tour of duty in Iraq, Vance's unit returned to its base in Cherry Point, North Carolina, where he served in an administrative position before his former Marine superior encouraged him to finish college and pursue new opportunities.
    “He was already thinking about law school, applying to it,” said Sean Haney, a retired Marine who was his commanding officer at Cherry Point. “Some of the Marines were saying to him, ‘You’re going to be president someday.’”
    Vance later completed his law degree at Yale University, one of the country's most prestigious universities, before working in Silicon Valley.
    He won Trump's support in the 2022 Senate race by embracing his policies and vision of the 2020 "stolen election" that saw President Joe Biden win.
    In his acceptance speech as vice president, Vance reiterated his opposition to sending American troops overseas, saying, “Communities like mine have paid the price. Over the decades, the gap has widened between the few who enjoy power and comfort in Washington and the rest of us.”
    [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Current date/time is Sat 07 Sep 2024, 11:07 pm