November 19, 2023
Baghdad/Al-Masala Al-Hadath: The escalation of attacks on American forces in Syria and Iraq sparked division and anger within the Department of Defense (Pentagon), according to what the American newspaper The Washington Post reported.
The Pentagon revealed the total number of attacks on its military bases in the two countries since the middle of last month, which amounted to 61, 29 in Iraq and 32 in Syria, against the backdrop of its continued support for Israel, which has been relentlessly bombing the Gaza Strip for weeks, killing more than 12,000 people.
The Ministry explained that the attacks did not cause significant damage to the infrastructure, and did not result in serious injuries to force members, noting that the injured returned to their duties.
The last American response to these attacks was last Monday, when Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin announced that American forces carried out what he described as precise strikes in Al-Bukamal and Al-Mayadeen in eastern Syria.
The Washington Post said that Pentagon officials expressed their frustration with what they consider an incoherent strategy to confront Iranian proxies.
These officials acknowledged that the limited retaliatory air strikes approved by President Biden failed to stop the violence.
“There is no clear definition of what we are trying to deter,” said one Defense Department official, who like others spoke on condition of anonymity.
He asked: Are we trying to deter future attacks with this strategy? Obviously this doesn't work.
A senior official in the US Department of Defense stated that the Pentagon presented additional options to President Biden beyond the measures taken so far, also stressing that there are growing doubts about the current approach.