Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Many Topics Including The Oldest Dinar Community. Copyright © 2006-2020

Detroit Red Wings

jedi17
    jedi17

Detroit Red Wings  Empty Detroit Red Wings

Post by jedi17 Thu 26 Jan 2017, 8:55 pm

Broken at the break
    January 25, 2017, 11:22 PM ET [14 Comments]
    Bob Duff
    Detroit Red Wings  Det Detroit Red Wings Blogger • RSS • Archive • CONTACT
    This was supposed to be the week that the Detroit Red Wings made their move back into playoff contention.

Instead, they moved further away.

A 4-0 loss to the Toronto Maple Leafs Wednesday at Joe Louis Arena on the heels of Tuesday’s 4-3 overtime setback to the Bruins at Boston left the Wings broken at the NHL All-Star break.

With 49 points, the Wings sit five points out of an Eastern Conference playoff position but based on tiebreakers, Detroit also enters the break sitting at the bottom of the conference.

It’s a grim reality that quite frankly, they all readily understand.

“Let’s be honest, I think we’re all watching the standings, there’s no doubt about that,” defenseman Niklas Kronwall said. “But again, we’ve got to stay positive. We’ve got to stay positive and just find the positives and keep grinding away. 

“There’s no way out of this. It’s going to be the guys in here who’s going to do it together. Basically, everything’s going to come down to that.”

The Wings keep talking about rallying, about how tomorrow they will turn it around and begin their climb that will culminate in their 26th successive appearance in the Stanley Cups playoffs.

The truth is, they are rapidly using up their tomorrows, and soon they will run out of chances.

It won’t be tomorrow, but that fact of life grows closer for the Wings with every defeat and every passing day.

Kicking When Their Down
    Detroit goaltender Petr Mrazek struggled through another start. Three of the four goals he allowed were of the odd variety.

The second one saw a point shot from Toronto’s Roman Polak that was going to miss the net bank off Detroit defenseman Jonathan Ericsson’s right shin and under Mrazek’s glove.

James Van Riemsdyk made it 3-0 when he shot from the side of the net and it off Mrazek’s body.

“(Van Riemsdyk’s shot) hit a piece of my glove and went over me,” Mrazek said. 

On the final goal of the night, Nikita Soshnikov’s seemingly harmless-looking wrist shot sailed into the net between Mrazek’s body and his blocker.

“I didn’t like the fourth goal,” Mrazek said, though it was the second goal that really drew his ire and led him to apparently throw Ericsson under the bus.

“I think the momentum (swing) was the second goal they scored of Big E’s leg,” Mrazek said. “It’s unbelievable when you’re down 1-0 with two minutes left in the second period, you get some scoring chances and then you know they miss the net wide and hits Big E and goes in. 

“That’s frustrating for sure but that’s hockey. That’s how it is sometimes.”

Mrazek is 0-6-2 in his last eight starts, although he did win in relief of Jared Coreau Jan. 18 against Boston.

Current date/time is Tue 07 May 2024, 8:36 pm